And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2012, 09:32:16 PM
Quote from: Caliga on February 16, 2012, 08:19:23 PM
Yi probably means Kirsten Gillibrand, who is a US Senator, not a Lt. Governor.

Yi: politically uninformed. :(

Smart man actually. Trying to keep up with the rats in government causes impotence.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Lt. governor or somethinig accurately describes her office.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2012, 08:26:26 AM

She's also a Democrat.  Did you mean someone else entirely?

This is Gillibrand:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2012, 08:30:53 AM

I meant her.  The topic was attractive women in US politics.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2012, 08:36:22 AM
I meant her.  The topic was attractive women in US politics.
Ok.  I thought it was more over Ide's contention that Republican women are ugly monsters, apparently citing Nancy Pelosi to demonstrate that.  Which is novel.
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

alfred russel

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 17, 2012, 08:59:56 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 17, 2012, 01:56:32 AM
If Mitt loses Michigan he's gonna have problems
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/mi/michigan_republican_presidential_primary-1589.html
He can make up for it in the West.

States like Colorado with significant Mormon populations will be a reliable levy against the surge of santorum.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

Wyoming will go for the weirdest one...so it seems a toss-up.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2012, 08:30:53 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2012, 08:26:26 AM

This is Gillibrand:

:perv:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on February 15, 2012, 10:32:37 PM
She got old.  Give her a break.  She's still not bad looking for her age cohort, and the eyes are the same. :)

:blink:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on February 15, 2012, 09:56:43 PM
Fourthly, despite the corporate shareholders basic if attenuated responsibility for damages done in their name, it's far more administratively convenient to charge either a corporate income tax, or a capital gains tax, or both, as a form of "social insurance" paid by all limited liability entities, to make up for the social harms some of them commit, by financing a strong, rich government, which will ameliorate that harm either through its functioning courts or through its generous social safety net.

This is hard to square with your apparent view on Citizens United (yes grinding that axe again).

What you are implicitly advancing here is a theory of the corporation that is consistent with what the literature calls the "conessionary" theory (though I don't care for the terminology).  Basically the idea is that corporations as creatures of state law are merely "concessions" that can be modified or revoked by the will of the Legislature and therefore exist to serve the public welfare.  There are two key things to keep in mind about this view: (1) it unquestionably reflects how corporations were understood and viewed at the time of the drafting of the Constitution - when under many state statutes a special  act of the Legislature was required to grant each individual corporate charter, and (2) legally speaking, the theory is a truism - that is the corporate form is entirely a creation of state legislatures and nothing more.  If all 50 states decided tomorrow to strike their corporation statutes from the book, every corporation in America would dissolve.

Notwithstanding all this, in certain academic circles the concessionary theory is considered quaint and passe.  How can this be?  The origin point is the Law and Economics movement and the work of Ronald Coase in particular, who theorized the business fim as a  "nexus of contracts."    That in turn gave rise to an "associationist" view of corporations that sees them as voluntary associations of free citizens who agree to bind themselves together through a complex web of contracts.

The associationist view is all very nice as a way of analyzing corporations from a sociological perspective, but it is also in a sense dodging the issue.  The issue is that there is a very real and significant difference between human people and corporate "persons".  Human beings are legal Persons axiomatically under a free, democractic constitution - the American Constitution captures this axiomatic position quite well by beginning with the phrase "We the People".  Human Personhood is natural, inherent, irrevocable, even tautological.   Corporations, on the ohter hand are legal Persons only because some state legislature says they are so.  Their Personhood is artificial, conditional and revocable. 

Once you accept this distinction then the justification for corporate control and taxation by the state is clear - corporations are creations of public law and therefore their raison d'etre is to increase the general welfare.  The state should therefore adjust corporate institutional arrangements as appropriate to achieve that goal.

But if you don't accept that view and conflate corporate and individual Personhood, it becomes far more murky.  If a couple of friends and I form a bowling team and compete for prize money, the state can tax us for whatever we take individually but can't impose an additional tax on the Team as a whole.  Indeed unincorporated associations of citizens of all kinds are typically exempt from entity-level taxation, regardless of whether they enjoy limitation of liability or not.  But if corporations are entitled to all the usual rights of constitutional persons, then how can taxation be imposed on the entity level without violating Equal Protection?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2012, 10:57:38 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 15, 2012, 10:32:37 PM
She got old.  Give her a break.  She's still not bad looking for her age cohort, and the eyes are the same. :)

:blink:

70 year olds look hideous as a rule. Pelosi's skin may be falling off, but her facial structure is still intact. She's got good genes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?