Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 16, 2012, 08:05:41 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 16, 2012, 07:14:50 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 15, 2012, 11:12:29 PM
John Glenn would have been a great President.  Man, I'm glad I don't remember the Democratic party of the 1980's.  Mondale?  Really?

It was a rough time.  WHY NOT MARIO WHY NOT????
Don't worry you can get to vote for Andrew.  Who, unlike his father (:wub:), is tribune of the homos.

Mario was ahead of his time, far ahead than where Andrew is now.  Mario was the greatest Presidential Candidate That Never Was.

And he gave one of the greatest speeches on the concept on public policy and personal morality of the 20th century; you should have read it by now
http://archives.nd.edu/research/texts/cuomo.htm

Something some Republicans should read from time to time.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 16, 2012, 09:24:11 AM
And he gave one of the greatest speeches on the concept on public policy and personal morality of the 20th century; you should have read it by now

No thanks.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on February 15, 2012, 10:58:48 PM
Amyway, all GOPtards got is that Alaskan who moves like she's got Parkinson's and Lady Ghoulface; our side can take bullets to their skulls and come out age cohort 9s.

You're being a bit selective in your examples, to say the very least.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Mario was ahead of his time, far ahead than where Andrew is now.  Mario was the greatest Presidential Candidate That Never Was.

I'll give it a read.  I've watched his 1984 convention speech which was brilliant, one of the best speeches I've ever seen.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on February 15, 2012, 09:56:43 PM

OK.

Firstly, caveat emptor?  Really?

Secondly, you will concede that your food poisoning has social costs, right?  That it's not just your individual problem?

Thirdly, if the damage done by a corporation is great enough, it will not be able to fix it, but its constituent actors will escape liability.  This is obvious, of course, as it is the essence of limited liability.  But is it fair that people can profit when they do good things, but avoid consequences then they turn catastrophic?  Moral hazard much?

Fourthly, despite the corporate shareholders basic if attenuated responsibility for damages done in their name, it's far more administratively convenient to charge either a corporate income tax, or a capital gains tax, or both, as a form of "social insurance" paid by all limited liability entities, to make up for the social harms some of them commit, by financing a strong, rich government, which will ameliorate that harm either through its functioning courts or through its generous social safety net.

If anything I've said applies to caveat emptor, remember that it is the current state of affairs. If you suffer harm due to the actions of another party, you can only collect to the extent the party has assets subject to seizure. If you visit my home and I sell you rancid food that leaves you deathly ill and weakened for life, you may find most of my assets are protected and you are SOL (cars, primary residence, retirement accounts, pension plan).

There are social costs to that, but in the end corporate taxes aren't going to reimburse you. There are also social benefits to limited liability--which I think most agree offset the social costs. Limited liability has a very long tradition, and just as you know that you are assuming some risk when I sell you food that you may not be able to collect from any harm if I am insolvent, people assume some risk that the limited liabilty company won't be able to pay.

In the end, there isn't a "social insurance" charge for limited liability entities as most don't pay corporate taxes; only the few that don't qualify as a non taxible entity get hit with it (usually because they have too many owners). Which seems backwards to me: if you get diaherra from potato chips, you are much more likely to recover from a large business like Frito Lay than you are from a street vendor operating as a sole proprietorship.

Fifthly, I'm pretty sure LLCs and similar have to pay some kind of taxes, I'm just not sure what, and my copy of the IRC was destroyed in a tragic accident.

Sixthly, there are other good reasons for corporate/capital gains taxes to be higher; specifically, non-labor income is less valuable from a moral point of view; and also because the taxer is the state and the taxee is not. :frog:

LLCs and S Corps don't pay corporate income tax: their income passes through to the owners as personal income (which is only taxed once obviously). There is a good reason to have corporate taxes on large corps as providing this type of flow through to personal income could be an administrative challenge, but it certainly doesn't punish all non labor income. Much of the income from the entities that don't pay corporate income tax is also non labor.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on February 16, 2012, 10:05:52 AM
Amyway, all GOPtards got is that Alaskan who moves like she's got Parkinson's and Lady Ghoulface; our side can take bullets to their skulls and come out age cohort 9s.

If he means Palin and Bachman they're both rather attractive for their age. And he conveniently ignores the existence of Janet Reno. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 16, 2012, 10:20:24 AM

If he means Palin and Bachman they're both rather attractive for their age. And he conveniently ignores the existence of Janet Reno. ;)
What does he have to do with anything?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 16, 2012, 10:02:22 AM

No thanks.

Here, have foetus, bacon and cheese biscuit.  Made them just fresh for breakfast.

Phillip V

Republican caucuses have been an utter joke and disgrace this year.

First, Iowa flip-flopped on its winner.
Then, Nevada took 2-3 days to release its full results.
And now the Maine GOP has decided to do a recount and include votes from the missing 16% of its precincts. Romney had previously been declared the winner with supposedly only 200 votes more than Paul.

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 16, 2012, 10:20:24 AM

Sure, I'd fuck Palin if she could stay still and didn't speak, but Bachman is pretty gross.

Maybe there are attractive national-level Republican figures, but I'm just not aware of any (maybe Condi Rice, I guess).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

There's that NY lt. gov or something with the big blonde hair who's not gruesome.

Ideologue

I wouldn't call his hair big. :mellow:

Aw, Giffords resigned.  I knew there was talk about it, but I wasn't sure she had yet. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Caliga

Yi probably means Kirsten Gillibrand, who is a US Senator, not a Lt. Governor.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on February 16, 2012, 08:19:23 PM
Yi probably means Kirsten Gillibrand, who is a US Senator, not a Lt. Governor.

Yi: politically uninformed. :(
Kinemalogue