And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2012, 03:07:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 14, 2012, 03:04:41 PM
Because Americans for some reason have an active contempt for the exceptionally intelligent know-it-all types.

FYP
Yeah, that's the usual pretext used to justify the behavior Berkut described in the unmodified post.

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on February 14, 2012, 03:27:51 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2012, 03:21:35 PM

Sorry, shouldn't be free.

That really doesn't make sense to me. If I eat something from Frito Lay, I have no reasonable expectation that I can recover anything from some random guy with stock in his account if I get food poisoning. Why should the government charge for an arrangement that is the only one that makes rational sense?

Gotta go to work now (these dummies probably are organized as a partnership), but I'll respond to this later.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2012, 03:23:26 PM
Derspeiss is perhaps a bit like me, he votes against people more than for them.

I mean, if they ran Kucinich, I'd still bite the bullet just to vote against the GOP.

It's not like I want it that way-- it just happens to be the most uninspiring group of primary candidates since I started voting.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on February 14, 2012, 03:36:21 PM
Because Americans for some reason have an active contempt for the exceptionally intelligent know-it-all types.

FYP
Yeah, that's the usual pretext used to justify the behavior Berkut described in the unmodified post.

Seriously-- I don't think Americans dislike intelligent people, per se.  They just happen to also place a high value on personality and dislike being lectured to.  Clinton was supposedly rather intelligent, but that didn't seem to get in the way of him winning the popular vote-- twice.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Phillip V

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2012, 03:49:00 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 14, 2012, 03:36:21 PM

FYP

Seriously-- I don't think Americans dislike intelligent people, per se.  They just happen to also place a high value on personality and dislike being lectured to.  Clinton was supposedly rather intelligent, but that didn't seem to get in the way of him winning the popular vote-- twice.
He never won a majority of the popular vote.

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on February 14, 2012, 03:52:24 PM

True, but he was clearly considered the most likable of all three candidates in both elections.  Plus he had an impressive approval rating (generally a reflection of popularity) through his tenure.

Razgovory

He was never a supreme court justice either.  So what?  Why do Republicans like to bring that up?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on February 14, 2012, 04:17:46 PM

He was never a supreme court justice either.  So what?  Why do Republicans like to bring that up?

I suspect for the same reason that you harp on about many of the inane things you do.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 06, 2012, 07:29:33 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2012, 06:53:10 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 06, 2012, 04:58:13 PM
No the only thing I could recall is that a few years back she resisted proposed creditor friendly amendments to the bankruptcy laws that were being pushed by the credit card industry.

You yourself a page back or so said she advocates loan foregiveness as part of bankruptcy.  Am I missing some key point here?

Yes.  Individual bankruptcies in the US amost always involve forgiveness of loans.  that has been so for many years now.

This is something Europe could learn from the USA. Here in Norway personal bankrupcies often result in permanent bankrupcy where the individual can be left liable for all the loans for life. It is often a personal hell and is very highly stigmatized by society. If you went bankrupt it's your own fault you were a bad/immoral/spendthrift person etc. Going personally bankrupt without loan and debt forgiveness results in people ending up as permanent wards of the state where any income they might have is taken from them to pay their often unpayable debts and the bankrupt person is on welfare for life with no incentive to work.

American style Chapter 11 bankrupcy protection is also often not available. I know that some countries in Europe (the UK iirc) are trying to import some aspects of it but in other less capitalist friendly places like norway your creditors can sue you for unpayed bills and have the court sieze your assets and sell them.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on February 14, 2012, 04:42:32 PM

I suspect for the same reason that you harp on about many of the inane things you do.

I can buy that.  The whole of the GOP is insane and mentally unfit to hold any office.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

So, being intelligent is fine, as long as you hide it.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Seriously-- I don't think Americans dislike intelligent people, per se.

Yes, they do.  It's counter to the legacy of the Calvinist work ethic, and intelligent people have had a habit of getting together and starting rather nasty revolutions.

There's an inherent distrust of the smartest kid in the class.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 14, 2012, 05:59:30 PM

Yes, they do.  It's counter to the legacy of the Calvinist work ethic, and intelligent people have had a habit of getting together and starting rather nasty revolutions.

Same over here, my childhood friend got roundly booed at college when he went up to collect his award for high academic achievement, even allowing for some Languishites, still perhaps one of the very brightest people I've ever met. And they knew that as well, hence the booing. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 14, 2012, 05:59:30 PM

Only if he is socially inept.