Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on February 14, 2012, 09:45:36 AM
Rick Santorum now the GOP frontrunner nationally in several polls.

Awesome.  That's even better news for the President than if it had been Gingrich.

Phillip V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 14, 2012, 09:48:47 AM

Awesome.  That's even better news for the President than if it had been Gingrich.

Indeed. It assures my voting for Obama. :D

Ed Anger

I sure as hell won't vote for Santorum. Unless he runs on a platform of turning the country in the Handmaid's Tale. And I'm Robert Duvall.

derspiess

So how many actually think Santorum will win the nom?  :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on February 14, 2012, 09:50:22 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 14, 2012, 09:48:47 AM

Indeed. It assures my voting for Obama. :D

It assures most of the nation will, too.

Nothing like now for the GOP to declare war on women.  Again.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2012, 09:55:39 AM

Not me. Maybe Poppa Bush and his multicolored socks will garrote the backroom at the convention and we get Jeb.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 14, 2012, 09:58:45 AM
and we get Jeb.

Oh, dear Lord.

You do realize that prior to 2000, Dubya was always considered the Smart One, right?

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 14, 2012, 10:00:27 AM
and we get Jeb.

Oh, dear Lord.

You do realize that prior to 2000, Dubya was always considered the Smart One, right?

I'll take a Bush anytime over this crop of retards running right now.

Darth Wagtaros

and we get Jeb.

Oh, dear Lord.

xThought it was the other way around.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 14, 2012, 10:10:07 AM
and we get Jeb.

Oh, dear Lord.

xThought it was the other way around.
Same here. At least Jeb sounds fluent in English (and is IIRC also fluent in Spanish)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on February 12, 2012, 09:55:18 PM
But he authorized air war, founded the EPA, and opened China (it's not his fault that worked out so poorly).  It's a backhanded compliment, but Nixon may be the best/only good Republican president since Lincoln.  I guess Eisenhower was OK.

He also imposed price controls, lost control of the budget, was forced into a humiliating reatreat from Bretton Woods by France, wasted thousands for American lives on a flawed US strategy in Vietnam, was forced into another humiliating retreat there and got outfoxed at the negotiating table, brought America its first experience of stagflation, repeatedly and flargrantly violated the Constitution with illegal wiretapping and surveillance programs and oh yes, directed a plot to subvert American democracy.

Other than that, terrific.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2012, 09:55:39 AM

It's a curious quirk of fate that it's likely either a Mormon or a Catholic will win the Republican nomination.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 14, 2012, 10:32:50 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 12, 2012, 09:55:18 PM
But he authorized air war, founded the EPA, and opened China (it's not his fault that worked out so poorly).  It's a backhanded compliment, but Nixon may be the best/only good Republican president since Lincoln.  I guess Eisenhower was OK.

He also imposed price controls, lost control of the budget, was forced into a humiliating reatreat from Bretton Woods by France, wasted thousands for American lives on a flawed US strategy in Vietnam, was forced into another humiliating retreat there and got outfoxed at the negotiating table, brought America its first experience of stagflation, repeatedly and flargrantly violated the Constitution with illegal wiretapping and surveillance programs and oh yes, directed a plot to subvert American democracy.

Other than that, terrific.
Subvert American democracy? :rolleyes:

The whole Vietnam thing is irrelevant.  Sure, the US was utterly defeated, but at least Nixon ensured that the Vietnamese knew they had been in a fight.  The only strategy that might have saved Vietnam from communism, an invasion of North Vietnam (requiring millions of US troops), was off the table due to Johnson's pussyfooting around the issue.  Simply surrendering Vietnam to the communists without a fight was not an option either.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.