News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2012, 01:01:21 PM
...or push Santorum who, if nothing else, is safe and predictable.
Isn't that the same as conceding the general election though?  Nobody of any consequence is going to vote for Santorum.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Scipio

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2012, 10:06:06 PM
Extraordinarily Gingrich won a majority of married women :mellow:
That vote was a vote of thanks that they were not married to him
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

Quote from: stjaba on January 26, 2012, 05:25:43 PM
I just sent my absentee ballot in the mail  :ph34r:

Since I'm indifferent as to Romney and Gingrich(as a probable Obama voter), I ended up voting for Newt Gingrich, on the theory that I would prefer a prolonged nomination fight

Ideologue: trendsetter.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on January 26, 2012, 06:23:44 PM
Isn't that the same as conceding the general election though?  Nobody of any consequence is going to vote for Santorum.
I'm not sure any of them can, short of an enormous economic catastrophe like, say, an Italian default.  I'd rather Santorum who can possibly engage the base (like Gingrich) but won't go mad (unlike Gingrich).

My fear with Mitt is that he'll be seen as the 'electable', 'moderate' candidate forced on the party by the party establishment (in my view he's neither).  If he loses then I worry we'll have Rand Paul as candidate in 2016. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2012, 02:59:24 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 26, 2012, 06:23:44 PM
I'm not sure any of them can, short of an enormous economic catastrophe like, say, an Italian default.  I'd rather Santorum who can possibly engage the base (like Gingrich) but won't go mad (unlike Gingrich).

My fear with Mitt is that he'll be seen as the 'electable', 'moderate' candidate forced on the party by the party establishment (in my view he's neither).  If he loses then I worry we'll have Rand Paul as candidate in 2016.

Rand Paul could be a serious problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

My fear with Mitt is that he'll be seen as the 'electable', 'moderate' candidate forced on the party by the party establishment

So Romney 2012 = Dole 1996?

derspiess

My fear with Mitt is that he'll be seen as the 'electable', 'moderate' candidate forced on the party by the party establishment (in my view he's neither).

I think he's both.  Of the rest of the candidates I would say only Huntsman (and perhaps Newt if it were possible to pin him down) were more moderate, but none more electable than Mitt.

QuoteIf he loses then I worry we'll have Rand Paul as candidate in 2016. 

:w00t:

But seriously, what are you basing that upon?  The GOP has a track history of putting up more moderate candidates, regardless of how well that worked in previous elections.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 27, 2012, 11:27:44 AM
Interesting that they only focused on social conservatism.

Because if they went for fiscal conservatism they would have found the opposite conclusion. -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on January 20, 2012, 12:53:47 AM
At least if Gingrich got the nomination, it would make it a really easy decision come voting time. What a fucking asshole.
Yup, he's the candidate Languish has been waiting for. An intellectual who can't admit he's wrong and whose main emotional drives are spite, vengeance and lust.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Yeah, honestly... Newt is probably the primary candidate I've disliked the most since Pat Buchanan.  I even disliked John Edwards less than this guy.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points