News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Wait? Is there another debate? :huh:

Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking debates in this motherfucking primary race! :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

I think it's a good thing. Debates put a candidate to the test much better than stump speeches and attack ads. If one was truly fatigued* by them, why would he be watching Fox/CNN during prime time in the first place?  :wacko:

*Yes, I got the SOAP reference.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

Quote from: Siege on January 23, 2012, 08:15:01 PM
I'm kind of liking Newt more then Mitt.

He writes alt-history novels where the Nazis win.  You should hate him with all of your soul.

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on January 23, 2012, 09:32:15 PM
How the hell is Mr third wife doing so well in these primaries? what happened to the religious right?

They like him because he has the balls to openly what they wish they could get away with.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on January 23, 2012, 10:21:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 23, 2012, 09:29:13 PM
only exceeding Richard Nixon in personal vendetta asshattery.
What the fuck?

Nixon had a habit of seeing enemies that weren't there.  And you know that.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on January 23, 2012, 09:32:15 PM
How the hell is Mr third wife doing so well in these primaries? what happened to the religious right?
As Disraeli said of Gladstone, the problem with Mitt is that he has no redeeming defects. 

I'm starting to feel sorry for Mitt.  Given that the last politicians I felt sorry for were Brown and Palin that's probably not a good thing.

Edit:  Incidentally I think Mitt's business roundtable this morning is exactly what he should be doing.  Shame about the mild gaffe but more of that will help.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 23, 2012, 11:08:33 PM
He writes alt-history novels where the Nazis win. 

Only one.
All the rest are about the ACW or the American Revolutionary War or the War in the Pacific.

The man whose PhD in European History was so impressive as to convince Freddie Mac to pay him $25,000/month for his historical insights has never actually written a book on any topic relating to European history.  Other than the Nazi one, even his novels don't go there.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

An article from 1984 about Republican rising star Newt Gingrich:

http://motherjones.com/politics/1984/11/newt-gingrich-shining-knight-post-reagan-right

From his former friend and adviser:
Quote"He's probably one of the most dangerous people for the future of this country that you can possibly imagine. He's Richard Nixon, glib. It doesn't matter how much good I do the rest of my life, I can't ever outweigh the evil that I've caused by helping him be elected to Congress."

:lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 24, 2012, 05:40:33 PM
An article from 1984 about Republican rising star Newt Gingrich:

http://motherjones.com/politics/1984/11/newt-gingrich-shining-knight-post-reagan-right

Thanks for posting that.  Pretty interesting stuff, though obviously a lot more biased than the author lets on.

Even if the specifics are less cut-and-dried than they are given to appear, though, they give me a rational basis for my instinctive contempt for the man.  I'd rather see Santorum or even Paul in the White House before him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Not to dispute the article, but I don't think it's right to call Nixon glib.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 24, 2012, 06:49:22 PM

Yes, I saw that and couldn't make sense of it; glib no, thoughtful, intense, paranoid, insincere at times yes. Hard working, at all times.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fhdz

Quote from: mongers on January 24, 2012, 07:09:59 PM
Yes, I saw that and couldn't make sense of it; glib no, thoughtful, intense, paranoid, insincere at times yes. Hard working, at all times.

This.
and the horse you rode in on

Berkut

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 24, 2012, 06:49:22 PM

Isn't it saying he is a glib Richard Nixon? As in "richard Nixon, but glib"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned