News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I like Newt more then Mitt, but recognize that Mitt would make far superior President then Newt.  I respect Newts intelligence, but the man can't lead.  He also has a bad habit of going to the lowest common denominator first in politics which I think is because he hold the general public (and most of his colleges), in contempt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Siege on January 23, 2012, 08:15:01 PM
I'm kind of liking Newt more then Mitt.

That's like saying you like New Coke better than you like Tab. 
PDH!

CountDeMoney

I like Mitt because, like Bill Maher said last week, "there's a 46% chance he's actually a Democrat."

Newt is a douchebag asshole of the highest degree, only exceeding Richard Nixon in personal vendetta asshattery.

HVC

How the hell is Mr third wife doing so well in these primaries? what happened to the religious right?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Watching the debate now.

Take a look at the two guys in the audience behind Brian Williams.  I can't tell if they're young Mormons, or junior set of Halderman and Erlichmann.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on January 23, 2012, 09:32:15 PM
How the hell is Mr third wife doing so these primaries? what happened to the religious right?

It's a media construct.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 23, 2012, 09:37:25 PM
How the hell is Mr third wife doing so these primaries? what happened to the religious right?

It's a media construct.
i was thinking pragmatic racists, but i guess yours works too :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

KRonn

How the hell is Mr third wife doing so well in these primaries? what happened to the religious right?
I think that Newt taps into the annoyance, discord and feelings of things in Washington are going very wrong. Enough voters feel that way and Newt is the best one at playing that up. So regardless of his baggage, when he can tap into those feelings he does ok. I don't know if that will hold up well enough for him to carry the primaries, or the main election.

Darth Wagtaros

The career politician who built his powerbase ranting about career politicians.  I'd take Mitt over that, though I'd be thinking of 2000 Maverick McCain.
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on January 23, 2012, 09:48:33 PM
I think that Newt taps into the annoyance, discord and feelings of things in Washington are going very wrong. Enough voters feel that way and Newt is the best one at playing that up. So regardless of his baggage, when he can tap into those feelings he does ok. I don't know if that will hold up well enough for him to carry the primaries, or the main election.

Well, most successful politicians do that.  I imagine if you went up there and polled Congressmen you'd find very few who describe themselves as a "Washington Insider".  The thing is, Newt was part of the problem of why things are wrong in Washington.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Christ, every time Ron Paul says something salient about the economy, he opens his mouth about foreign policy.  And erases it.

"Taking on Iran is just wrong. I mean, how would we feel if someone threatened to close the Gulf of Mexico?"
Yes, he just said that.

What a pothead weenie.

KRonn

Yeah, I'd still take Mitt as a candidate over Newt, even though Newt talks a better game about change. He did do some bigger changes when Speaker, like Welfare reform with Pres Clinton, and some other stuff. But I'm just not sold on Newt being a leader type, and there's his baggage of being ousted from his Speakership by fellow Repubs angry over his poor leadership.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 23, 2012, 09:56:09 PM
Christ, every time Ron Paul says something salient about the economy, he opens his mouth about foreign policy.  And erases it.

"Taking on Iran is just wrong. I mean, how would we feel if someone threatened to close the Gulf of Mexico?"
Yes, he just said that.

What a pothead weenie.

True dat.

DGuller

No comments about influence peddling?  I think Mitt got Newt on the ropes there, and Brian Williams totally bailed out Newt's ass with a timely thrown ad towel.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 23, 2012, 09:29:13 PM
only exceeding Richard Nixon in personal vendetta asshattery.
What the fuck?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.