NTSB recommends full ban on use of cell phones while driving

Started by KRonn, December 13, 2011, 05:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Josephus on December 13, 2011, 08:17:38 PM
Yeah...it is virtually impossible. All you need is tinted windows.

Or a phone with a proximity sensor at night, which is most smartphones.
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

Yeah, it's not going to accomplish the goal unless we also ban eating, indecisiveness, putting on makeup, smoking, children and pets--as well as enforcing proper lane usage, institute minimum speeds as well as maximum ones and create road etiquette, IQ and reflex tests in order to be allowed to use the road. Basically, pointless.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

If one relies on two wheels to get about, stuff like this seems like mere frippery; one is acutely aware of the safety trade off for both ones own actions and those of others.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

lustindarkness

People who text while driving are stupid and will be distracted. People that don't wear a seat belt are stupid even if not distracted. People that are eating a burger while smoking and putting on make up talking on the phone and changing the radio station with 4 kids fighting in the back seat while driving are stupid and distracted.
But do we need the goverment to create yet another law?  :mad: Don't we have enough laws to cover this? (even if most are not enforced anymay) Where is it going to end?  :glare:

The other thing is, the police needs to fight crime, they don't have the manpower to be the enforcer of a nanny state with so many laws.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Maximus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 13, 2011, 10:04:35 PM
Yeah, it's not going to accomplish the goal unless we also ban eating, indecisiveness, putting on makeup, smoking, children and pets--as well as enforcing proper lane usage, institute minimum speeds as well as maximum ones and create road etiquette, IQ and reflex tests in order to be allowed to use the road. Basically, pointless.
We'd be much further ahead to just ban human drivers. Computers don't do any of these things. They also don't succumb to road rage and competitiveness.

Zanza

Quote from: Iormlund on December 13, 2011, 07:43:09 PMAny decent car solves the sound system thing by having controls on the wheel though.
And modern cars will usually come with the option to have radio, satnav and telephone controlled by voice commands, so you never have to take the hands of the wheel or the eyes of the road.

QuoteAs an aside, the automakers exemption is silly. A result of lobbying, perhaps?
If the system is done well, a phone conversation shouldn't be more distracting than talking to a passenger.

Razgovory

The best way to do it would be to let individual citizens enforce it.  By letting people drive sell phone users off the road or shoot out their windows.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2011, 05:03:59 PM
The best way to do it would be to let individual citizens enforce it.  By letting people drive sell phone users off the road or shoot out their windows.

:)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 14, 2011, 04:40:14 PM
The other thing is, the police needs to fight crime, they don't have the manpower to be the enforcer of a nanny state with so many laws.

I disagree with your nanny state argument. Nanny state implies the state is looking after, baby sitting, the person not looking after himself.

But when I drive to work, I want to make sure that some asshole texting goodbye to his one-night stand doesn't smack into me, causing me to lose control and smack into a 16-wheel truck.

I don't give a shit about the guy texting. But, I do for myself.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2011, 05:03:59 PM

Yes.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 13, 2011, 06:25:41 PM
Just like seatbelt laws, another great opportunity for pretextual stops.  Law enforcement rejoices!   :showoff:

Rules are rules. Gives me the PC.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: 11B4V on December 14, 2011, 11:27:17 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 13, 2011, 06:25:41 PM
Just like seatbelt laws, another great opportunity for pretextual stops.  Law enforcement rejoices!   :showoff:

Rules are rules. Gives me the PC.

:D  And cops are cops.   :hug:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

I thought traffic cops paid for themselves? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

How many wanted criminals are pulled over and nabbed during a routine traffic stops.

example...For not wearing seat belt or cellphone or rolling a stop sign/light or expired reg. or failing to signal or aggressive driving or illegal lane change...etc
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 15, 2011, 12:38:28 AM

I thought traffic cops paid for themselves? :unsure:

Huh? :huh: