News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Norwegian Butter Shortage

Started by JonasSalk, December 13, 2011, 01:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

negative 99 cents? they pay you to take it? :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 14, 2011, 07:58:02 PM
And the real fake butter has apparently been released in Germany this year:

USA! USA! USA!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on December 13, 2011, 10:07:03 PM
I think he means that all Europeans should suffer.  Except for farmers, of course.
There are values beyond achieving the lowest price.  One of those, I think, is securing and supporting a strong agriculture sector and I actually back that 'cultural landscape' element too.

I wouldn't want the Norwegian system, it's developed in response to their culture - for example we lack a farmers coop tradition.  But maybe a single purchasing dairy board of some sort, guaranteeing a price over reasonably long periods allowing predictability and stability for farmers.  The cost for the consumer would be higher - I'd suggest differences between retail and wholesale dairy - but if they, as voters, are okay with that then that's fine.  It seems to be the case in Norway.

QuoteThey will try and avoid a referendum as there would be a massive vote to leave.
I think it's inevitable now.  Has been since that debate provoked by the e-petition and the early day motion supporting a three-optioned referendum.  We'll probably get one next time the Tories win a majority, if they manage that - given that they failed against Gordon Brown I'm not sure that's a certainty :lol:

I do think we need to decide if we're in or out and either commit or leave.  Put like that I'm not massively sure which way I'd vote.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 14, 2011, 10:01:54 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on December 13, 2011, 10:07:03 PM
I think he means that all Europeans should suffer.  Except for farmers, of course.
There are values beyond achieving the lowest price.  One of those, I think, is securing and supporting a strong agriculture sector and I actually back that 'cultural landscape' element too.

I wouldn't want the Norwegian system, it's developed in response to their culture - for example we lack a farmers coop tradition.  But maybe a single purchasing dairy board of some sort, guaranteeing a price over reasonably long periods allowing predictability and stability for farmers.  The cost for the consumer would be higher - I'd suggest differences between retail and wholesale dairy - but if they, as voters, are okay with that then that's fine.  It seems to be the case in Norway.

QuoteThey will try and avoid a referendum as there would be a massive vote to leave.
I think it's inevitable now.  Has been since that debate provoked by the e-petition and the early day motion supporting a three-optioned referendum.  We'll probably get one next time the Tories win a majority, if they manage that - given that they failed against Gordon Brown I'm not sure that's a certainty :lol:

I do think we need to decide if we're in or out and either commit or leave.  Put like that I'm not massively sure which way I'd vote.

You're presuming the rest of Europe won't decide at some state that we should be Out.   ;)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

So, I'm still waiting for Norway to go Viking style, and hit up Sweden, or cross into Denmark and sieze butter supplies.  The longboats sail again!   :ph34r:

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on December 14, 2011, 10:36:38 PM
So, I'm still waiting for Norway to go Viking style, and hit up Sweden, or cross into Denmark and sieze butter supplies.  The longboats sail again!   :ph34r:

Butter wouldn't melt in their mouths.

Or at least until south of 55degrees.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Mr.Penguin

These days do they take the ferry and clear out the supermarkets in port cities...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Viking

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on December 15, 2011, 12:55:33 AM

These days do they take the ferry and clear out the supermarkets in port cities...

I think swedens three largest grocery stores are within 100 meters of the norwegian border. The boats to denmark are nothing more than floating wineshops. When slargos was living here in trondheim we too a trip to storlien to buy booze and bbq meat.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on December 14, 2011, 11:42:57 AM

the ones one i confuses, and only is portuguese, is the swiss and the swedes. sound too damn similar.

That's a  Latin American Spanish confusion, false porkchop.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 14, 2011, 10:01:54 PM

Don't forget that the Boundary Commission will have set up the new constituencies by the next General Election, the old boundaries favoured Labour who would have got a majority of 30-40 seats if they had got the share of the vote that the Tories got in the last election.

I think I would now vote against EU membership. The fury at Cameron for not signing away fiscal sovereignty on the spot at 4am without even consulting Parliament or the people.........how can we make common cause with people who think like that?

KRonn

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on December 15, 2011, 12:55:33 AM

A once proud tradition is no more. Oh how the mighty have fallen. :( 

Ideologue

Was that sign punctuated by a Martian?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on December 15, 2011, 08:53:12 AM

Was that sign punctuated by a Martian?

comma is a period over there.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 15, 2011, 04:57:44 AM
I think I would now vote against EU membership. The fury at Cameron for not signing away fiscal sovereignty on the spot at 4am without even consulting Parliament or the people.........how can we make common cause with people who think like that?

As a teacher once told us regarding votings in EU stuff (talking about fisheries and the usual Spanish position in them), every country likes to sell to its national audience that their position and requests were the only rational ones and in everybody's interests, and that everytime they're voted down it's because there's a huge international conspiracy against you, but that when a big meeting or several are held and at the time of drawing lines in the sand everybody is roughly in one side and your country ends up alone in the other most of the time then maybe this country should reflect on why this keeps happening again and again. I think this could also be applied to this issue.

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 15, 2011, 03:42:30 AM
Quote from: HVC on December 14, 2011, 11:42:57 AM

the ones one i confuses, and only is portuguese, is the swiss and the swedes. sound too damn similar.

That's a  Latin American Spanish confusion, false porkchop.
come on, Suecia and Suica are damn close :lol: And i'm not a false pork chop, i'm purely "canadian" (whatever that means :D ) i just speak pork chop :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.