And we're back!

Main Menu

Norwegian Butter Shortage

Started by JonasSalk, December 13, 2011, 01:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonasSalk

Yay protectionism!

http://youtu.be/7mHMRro0QM0

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/life/article/174721--butter-shortage-in-norway-as-christmas-looms

QuoteButter is now selling on Norway's top auction website,with a 250 gram piece starting at around 13 U.S. dollars, roughly four times its normal price.

The residents of the world's second-richest per-capita country cannot even hope for help from a friendly neighbour who is rolling in butter.

Top dairy producer Denmark lies just across a narrow sea channel, but its stores of creamy butter will be kept out of the country by the high import duties of Norway, the only Nordic nation that does not belong to the European Union.
Yuman

Grey Fox

It has a kept thousands of milk farmers in business so yea, Yay protectionism.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Octavian

Come on Norwegians...you know you wan't it!

Butter for Oil!
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

JonasSalk

Well in that case, you should mandate that everything in Norway be manufactured in Norway. Why stop at butter? More jobs for EVERYBODY!
Yuman

Slargos

Quote from: JonasSalk on December 13, 2011, 01:37:39 PM
Well in that case, you should mandate that everything in Norway be manufactured in Norway. Why stop at butter? More jobs for EVERYBODY!
The other manufactoring industries are so stunted they don't have much political clout to speak of. The farmers and fishermen are a powerful political factor.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 13, 2011, 04:06:55 PM
Why is JonasSalk back?   :(

Marty has been cutting back on stupid comments so someone had to fill the gap.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Razgovory on December 13, 2011, 04:24:55 PM
Marty has been cutting back on stupid comments so someone had fill the gap.

I'll head over to the WWI thread to do my part.   :showoff:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

dps

Misread the thread title as "Norwegian Butler Shortage".

sbr

Quote from: dps on December 13, 2011, 06:00:20 PM

:D  Me too.

Josquius

heaven knows they're rich enough for it
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on December 13, 2011, 07:22:49 PM
heaven knows they're rich enough for it

Too rich to have to buttle for a living?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

JonasSalk

Yuman

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 13, 2011, 04:06:55 PM
Why is JonasSalk back?   :(

The forum is suffering from a crazy right-wingers shortage, so we recalled him and KwangTiger.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

There is a shortage of something every year. Usually it gets blamed on the planners inability to predict the future, but always it is a result of giving the farmers cooperative a monopoly on some kind of product.

In this case the old farmers coop "Tine Norske Meierier" has a legislated role as market regulator - basically a legislated monopoly. Somehow it is imagined that Tine will act for the consumer. Otherwise the butter market is protected by steep toll barriers and even Tine's competetors have to use Tine's network of subsidized dairies and Tine has to accept them. But, we have found that Tine gets away with prioritizing it's own production over competetors - a horrifying abuse of the monopoly given the perishable nature of dairy goods. This is a disgrace. However this system is maintained by norwegian bigotry and individual norwegians are willing to saccrifice their own free choice to force all their countrymen to maintain norwegian farmers. The arguments are typically food security (yes Soviet subs are about to cut the food supply to Norway in case of conflict) and what is called "culture landscape" - yes tourists like to see pretty little farmhouses. 

So on the whole the result is that norwegian farming uses more capital on the inputs cost more than it's products. Let me repeat the net result of all the hard work of norwegian farmers is negative. In effect the norwegian farmer is destroying value, BEFORE he takes his own salary. Subsidies to farmers are greater than income from farming.

This system is totally ridiculous.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.