Illinois Teen Learns About Bank Fees the Hard Way

Started by garbon, December 13, 2011, 12:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2011, 05:08:31 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 13, 2011, 05:02:04 PM
I'm also not sure how clearly banks lay out their terms and conditions.  Better than the software or cell phone boilerplate, but still probably a bit obscure to the average person, especially if it's been a while since you opened the account.

The information on minimum balances and monthly fees is about as opaque as the instructions on a coin operated laundry machine.

:huh:  I've had the same credit union account for 7 years now and done a variety of things with it, but right now I have no idea what the minimum balance or monthly fee is.  Whereas I've got at least a rough idea of how to work the laundromat.

EDIT:  I don't mean it's not easy to figure out if you want to, but how present is it in the minds of generic checking account holders?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

In Canada at least, there exists a criminal rate of interest - that is, interest on a loan cannot total more than a certain percentage.

Short-term "payday" loan outfits got hammered by the courts in class actions for using fees and charges to effectively raise the loan rate higher than this "criminal' rate.

I dunno why the same analysis cannot apply to overdraft fees. The bank is essentially loaning you the money. Why should it be able to charge you more than the principal per day, and call it a "charge" rather than "interest"?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Cunt Mom would take a loan with Western Sky and then complain about the interest.

http://www.westernsky.com/TermsOfUse.aspx
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 13, 2011, 05:12:27 PM
EDIT:  I don't mean it's not easy to figure out if you want to, but how present is it in the minds of generic checking account holders?

Back when I had a minimum balance requirement it loomed HUGE in my mind.  On the money I was making the monthly fee was not something I could afford to ignore.

Malthus

Edit: never mind, I looked at the provision and it excludes overdraft charges.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 13, 2011, 05:12:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2011, 05:08:31 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 13, 2011, 05:02:04 PM
I'm also not sure how clearly banks lay out their terms and conditions.  Better than the software or cell phone boilerplate, but still probably a bit obscure to the average person, especially if it's been a while since you opened the account.

The information on minimum balances and monthly fees is about as opaque as the instructions on a coin operated laundry machine.

:huh:  I've had the same credit union account for 7 years now and done a variety of things with it, but right now I have no idea what the minimum balance or monthly fee is.  Whereas I've got at least a rough idea of how to work the laundromat.

Again they tell you when you get your account. My credit union doesn't have one but Bank of America and Wells Fargo sure did.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2011, 05:19:19 PM
Back when I had a minimum balance requirement it loomed HUGE in my mind.  On the money I was making the monthly fee was not something I could afford to ignore.

Now that I look, I don't have a minimum balance requirement, so I guess that's why I've never worried about it.  My bank has three tiers of checking accounts, and the higher two have minimums of $1000 and $10,000 with monthly fees of $10 and $25 respectively.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Admiral Yi

Right, and if there's no minimum balance then you forget about it.  100 quatloos says that describes Mihali's account.

p.s. You posted before I could submit but I'll put this up anyway for the decadent thrill of being right.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2011, 05:25:43 PM
Right, and if there's no minimum balance then you forget about it.  100 quatloos says that describes Mihali's account.

p.s. You posted before I could submit but I'll put this up anyway for the decadent thrill of being right.

^_^

When you had a minimum balance, would your bank alert you if you went under it, or just collect the fees silently?

mongers

None of my bank accounts have monthly fees, and as a precautionary measure I maintain overdrafts on two of them, just in case.  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on December 13, 2011, 05:15:10 PM
In Canada at least, there exists a criminal rate of interest - that is, interest on a loan cannot total more than a certain percentage.

Short-term "payday" loan outfits got hammered by the courts in class actions for using fees and charges to effectively raise the loan rate higher than this "criminal' rate.

I dunno why the same analysis cannot apply to overdraft fees. The bank is essentially loaning you the money. Why should it be able to charge you more than the principal per day, and call it a "charge" rather than "interest"?
Yeah, I thought about usury laws as well, but ultimately that's not really the wrong being done.  The wrong being done is to lay out a trap for a client, and hope he falls in it. 

I'm really dismayed that majority of posters don't have an issue with that.  Just because it takes carelessness to fall into a trap doesn't mean that it's fine for the trap to exist, or that it's even legal.  Good faith in conducting business means something.

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 13, 2011, 05:28:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2011, 05:25:43 PM

^_^

When you had a minimum balance, would your bank alert you if you went under it, or just collect the fees silently?

Mine sends me alerts both via e-mail and written. BofA that is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: BVN on December 13, 2011, 05:02:42 PM
I even get phonecalls from my bank to warn me if an account is running low.

That is a cool service.
and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 13, 2011, 04:18:30 PM
I don't understand the rationale for overdraft fees on debit card purchases.

Believe it or not, for most banks the main purpose is not revenue.  They'd prefer you to maintain a balance in the account and the fees are meant to hurt a little so that you'll be conditioned to make sure your account is in good standing.  In the long run, you're worth more to them if you don't overdraw your account.

Now there are a few banks that want as much fee income as they get and they don't care how they get it, but that's the minority.

QuoteCan't they just be declined at the point of sale if the balance doesn't cover it?

Yep.  But it was only fairly recently that everyone had to opt in to overdraft privilege, as sbr mentioned.

But there are other scenarios where you could potentially overdraw your account.  You could have a check post to the account before the actual settled debit card transaction posts. 

Some gas stations out there still only pre-authorize for $1 if you use the "credit" option at the pump, and the actual purchase amount may not post until a day or two later.  So you could have a $1 hold on your account for an actual purchase of $60.  If you only had, say, $10 in the account then obviously you're going to overdraw when that $60 posts.  This is supposedly being addressed by Visa & MasterCard, but these things always take a long time to fix.

QuoteI overdrafted a few times over the course of a day or two on one debit/credit card (when I had changed jobs and mixed up which account was being direct deposited to) and racked up something like $60 in fees on $7 of overdraft coverage.  Whereas I've also had a regular credit card just declined because I was a buck or two over my limit.  I'm not sure if the mechanics of debit and credit are different or what?

They work pretty much the same on the front end, but on the back end there are quite a few differences.

QuoteThe other element here is that generally the people getting screwed from overdrafts and minimum balance requirements tend to be the people who suffer the most from it (almost by definition with the minimum balances)...

But you don't have to be rich to be financially responsible. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on December 13, 2011, 05:29:05 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 13, 2011, 05:15:10 PM

Yeah, I thought about usury laws as well, but ultimately that's not really the wrong being done.  The wrong being done is to lay out a trap for a client, and hope he falls in it. 

I'm really dismayed that majority of posters don't have an issue with that.  Just because it takes carelessness to fall into a trap doesn't mean that it's fine for the trap to exist, or that it's even legal.  Good faith in conducting business means something.

:yes:

Which is one of the areas where the Anglo-American school of business seems to be failing in.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"