Illinois Teen Learns About Bank Fees the Hard Way

Started by garbon, December 13, 2011, 12:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on December 13, 2011, 05:32:43 PM
Quote from: BVN on December 13, 2011, 05:02:42 PM
I even get phonecalls from my bank to warn me if an account is running low.

That is a cool service.

I had a credit card link to a phone and it sent real-time text messages for each and every transaction on the card; rather useful.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 13, 2011, 05:09:41 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2011, 05:08:31 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 13, 2011, 05:02:04 PM
I'm also not sure how clearly banks lay out their terms and conditions.  Better than the software or cell phone boilerplate, but still probably a bit obscure to the average person, especially if it's been a while since you opened the account.

The information on minimum balances and monthly fees is about as opaque as the instructions on a coin operated laundry machine.

Yeah they do typically put it in the brochures they give you when you open an account. I even remember discussing it with a couple bankers.

They're required to do so, per multiple federal regulations.  Plus most (if not all) places have an easy to read comparison chart listing all fees & requirements for their different account products.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on December 13, 2011, 05:47:00 PM
I'm also not sure how clearly banks lay out their terms and conditions.  Better than the software or cell phone boilerplate, but still probably a bit obscure to the average person, especially if it's been a while since you opened the account.

The information on minimum balances and monthly fees is about as opaque as the instructions on a coin operated laundry machine.

Yeah they do typically put it in the brochures they give you when you open an account. I even remember discussing it with a couple bankers.

They're required to do so, per multiple federal regulations.  Plus most (if not all) places have an easy to read comparison chart listing all fees & requirements for their different account products.

Which is why I loathe lazy cunt mom.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 13, 2011, 05:49:41 PM

He wasn't a small child - he was 18! If he can't be bothered to pay attention to the materials he received when opening the account...!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

I blame her. She nagged him, she takes the blame.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 13, 2011, 05:52:16 PM
I blame her. She nagged him, she takes the blame.

He's technically a man. If he hasn't figured out by that age how to combat his mother - fault is on him.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on December 13, 2011, 05:50:52 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 13, 2011, 05:49:41 PM

He wasn't a small child - he was 18! If he can't be bothered to pay attention to the materials he received when opening the account...!

Maybe he isn't a bright as you were at that age, but he still wants to be a functional member of society ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on December 13, 2011, 05:29:05 PM
Yeah, I thought about usury laws as well, but ultimately that's not really the wrong being done.  The wrong being done is to lay out a trap for a client, and hope he falls in it. 

I don't think that happens as often as you think it does.  Banks that try to live off of that type of fee income do not last very long. 

And if banks couldn't charge these fees, you'd see a lot of low-income people being shut out of banking altogether.  They're a risk to the bank, and fees help mitigate that risk.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Malthus on December 13, 2011, 05:15:10 PM
In Canada at least, there exists a criminal rate of interest - that is, interest on a loan cannot total more than a certain percentage.

Short-term "payday" loan outfits got hammered by the courts in class actions for using fees and charges to effectively raise the loan rate higher than this "criminal' rate.

I dunno why the same analysis cannot apply to overdraft fees. The bank is essentially loaning you the money. Why should it be able to charge you more than the principal per day, and call it a "charge" rather than "interest"?
Yeah, I thought about usury laws as well, but ultimately that's not really the wrong being done.  The wrong being done is to lay out a trap for a client, and hope he falls in it. 

I'm really dismayed that majority of posters don't have an issue with that.  Just because it takes carelessness to fall into a trap doesn't mean that it's fine for the trap to exist, or that it's even legal.  Good faith in conducting business means something.

Another way to look at it is that generally speaking under the common law "penalty provisions" that are not "genuine pre-estimates of liquidated damages" are not enforcable. Here's a short article on that:

http://www.tresscox.com.au/resources/resource.asp?id=128

If that applies to overdraft charges and the like ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on December 13, 2011, 05:56:19 PM
And if banks couldn't charge these fees, you'd see a lot of low-income people being shut out of banking altogether.  They're a risk to the bank, and fees help mitigate that risk.
Seems like a bit of an over-mitigation to me.

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on December 13, 2011, 05:42:46 PM
I'm really dismayed that majority of posters don't have an issue with that.  Just because it takes carelessness to fall into a trap doesn't mean that it's fine for the trap to exist, or that it's even legal.  Good faith in conducting business means something.

:yes:

Which is one of the areas where the Anglo-American school of business seems to be failing in.
I wouldn't necessarily say that.  Bad faith can and does get punished or rebuffed in courts all the time, AFAIK.  I also wouldn't assume that the bank in question is in the clear charging $28 per day for 14 days for overdrafts.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on December 13, 2011, 05:54:20 PM
Maybe he isn't a bright as you were at that age, but he still wants to be a functional member of society ?

Then he read the terms on the brochure. I'm not saying he has to read the legal jargon. As D said, many major banks call out the fees in a table.

dps

I agree that people should be responsible for understanding the minimum balance requirements on their bank accounts, and also the service charges that can apply--and if you don't, it's your fault--but IMO there's no justification for maintenance fees on low account balances in the first place--it costs a bank essentially nothing to keep an account open.  And I agree that charging an overdraft fee on an account that's only overdraft because of a maintenance fee is abominable.

It was especially bad in this case because it wasn't just a monthly overdraft fee, or a one-time charge, but a daily fee.  There's no excuse for that.

Josquius

This is pretty shocking.
Sure, they should have read the terms, they're lazy idiots, etc....
But the bank should not have been allowed to screw them over quite this much.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: dps on December 13, 2011, 07:06:03 PM
I agree that people should be responsible for understanding the minimum balance requirements on their bank accounts, and also the service charges that can apply--and if you don't, it's your fault--but IMO there's no justification for maintenance fees on low account balances in the first place--it costs a bank essentially nothing to keep an account open.  And I agree that charging an overdraft fee on an account that's only overdraft because of a maintenance fee is abominable.

It was especially bad in this case because it wasn't just a monthly overdraft fee, or a one-time charge, but a daily fee.  There's no excuse for that.

I agree - the issue is not that the guy did not understand the fees, but that the fees have no legitimate function.

In the legal jargon, in this jurisdiction they are unenforcable penalties, not "genuine liquidated damages" (which is just a fancy way of saying they are a fine to punish people who have overdrafts and provide profits to the bank, not a realistic pre-estimate of what the breach of the agreement - by having an overdraft - actually costs the bank).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius