News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is your time worth?

Started by Josquius, December 13, 2011, 03:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2011, 09:50:18 AM
How do you go about becoming an oil worker, anyway?

Strangely I got mine from a very good temping agency; one that didn't have anything suitable for me, iirc they said most of their stuff was rather too mundane for me, and that they'd get back to me.... and they did.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

I actually looked at the Halliburton thing, and most/all seemed to require engineering or at least voc school type credentials/experience.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2011, 02:09:44 PM
I actually looked at the Halliburton thing, and most/all seemed to require engineering or at least voc school type credentials/experience.

Viking is your 'go to man' here. 

For what it's worth there are quite a few jobs in the industry that don't require that, you could get a service job with one of the contractors and then move sideways or jump ship into another related area ?

Ideologue

Networking on Languish?  Sure, that could work.  Shame there aren't any lawyers on here.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2011, 02:20:52 PM
Networking on Languish?  Sure, that could work.  Shame there aren't any lawyers on here.

:D

Oh, I meant for general advice, though given Viking is a well travelled guy, he might have useful US contacts.

Valmy

Not much....but probably too much to spend anymore of it here today  :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

All the rig pigs out here seem like all they need to get started is an H2S safety ticket and they're good to go.

Mind you those are unskilled labour positions.  If you want something higher then yes, you need more qualifications.

Ideo - if you were in Alberta I'd just have you talk to my brother-in-law, who runs a rig for one of the big drilling companies - he's a push, essentially the foreman of the rig.  But for North Dakota I don't have any idea.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on December 13, 2011, 03:06:15 AM
As I've posted in the OTT I've never had a puncture on my bike in my life yet here in Japan it seems to be happening a hell of a lot.
I've never had to fix a puncture before and it is quite a long and reasonably difficult process. Painful too.
At a bike shop...fixing a puncture costs 1000 yen...
Now...this does seem rather a lot of money for something which you can do at home. Yet...I'm earning pretty good money these days...its painful but...1000 yen for an extra hour to do what I want/sleep/whatever is pretty nice.

I'd say you should fix your own punctures as it good practice if you ever have to do it out and about.

Today I've had a situation very similar to what you describe; I wanted a rack for my road/urban bike, so I got my local bike shop to order one, fit it and true the rear wheel, which is a bit of a black art you can either do it or not (bodging it to be sort of true is also not) and I can't do it for some reason.

I was more than happy to pay the $50 an hour rate for a skill I don't have, and they found the ideal rack for the bike and fitted it in a very neat way, otherwise I might have bought an inferior one and ended up with a not so good fit.  As it is they gave me some free 2nd hand spares for my run around bikes and over all I'm far more likely to use them again for all sorts of things anyway.

So for the right service I'm willing to pay about $50 an hour, but for most things I'll do it myself or try and repair stuff.

Maladict

As I've posted in the OTT I've never had a puncture on my bike in my life yet here in Japan it seems to be happening a hell of a lot.
I've never had to fix a puncture before and it is quite a long and reasonably difficult process. Painful too.
Now...this does seem rather a lot of money for something which you can do at home. Yet...I'm earning pretty good money these days...its painful but...1000 yen for an extra hour to do what I want/sleep/whatever is pretty nice.

Replacing a tire takes about 10-15 minutes, probably less time than it takes to take your bike to the shop and back.
You lost both time and money.  :)

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, there is a knack to changing tyres and once you have it then it only takes a few minutes. So, especially if it is happening a lot, learn how to do it...........apart from anything else it saves you from wheeling the bike home.

Hint.....buy some proper tyre irons, they help a lot.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 04:41:45 PM

All the rig pigs out here seem like all they need to get started is an H2S safety ticket and they're good to go.

Mind you those are unskilled labour positions.  If you want something higher then yes, you need more qualifications.

Ideo - if you were in Alberta I'd just have you talk to my brother-in-law, who runs a rig for one of the big drilling companies - he's a push, essentially the foreman of the rig.  But for North Dakota I don't have any idea.

You have to be fairly strong for that work.  I hear the pay is good, but you need to have a lot of endurance and lifting power.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Maladict on December 15, 2011, 03:58:50 AM

Replacing a tire takes about 10-15 minutes, probably less time than it takes to take your bike to the shop and back.
You lost both time and money.  :)
Replacing a tire is a bit wasteful and expensive though no?
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on December 15, 2011, 06:44:47 AM

What do you think they do at the bike shop?

Josquius

Quote from: Maladict on December 15, 2011, 07:09:18 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 15, 2011, 06:44:47 AM

What do you think they do at the bike shop?

No idea. Its cheaper than replacing a tyre though.
██████
██████
██████