Ah, I'd forgotten how much I hate DRMs and online-activations.

Started by DontSayBanana, December 11, 2011, 11:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quick summary: Bought a copy of Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit just after last Christmas.  Was too broke to get on Xbox Live.

Fast forward: I've finally gotten myself on Xbox Live, attempt to boot up NFS, and receive a nastygram saying that "you need an online pass to access online features of the game."  No prob, I bought it new, it's got the card still in it, I put the code in.  Already activated.  My options are 1) pay another $10, effectively as a penalty for not activating my game right away, or 2) use a gimped 2-day trial pass.

Fuck you, EA.  Fuck you.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

DRM and online-activations are important. They help keep the gaming industry viable.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I am curious as to how it will work when these online activation and DRM games stop being supported and/or their publisher goes out of business.  Is there some mechanism that will turn off the OA and DRM when they go "out of print" so to speak?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2011, 10:42:01 AM
I am curious as to how it will work when these online activation and DRM games stop being supported and/or their publisher goes out of business.  Is there some mechanism that will turn off the OA and DRM when they go "out of print" so to speak?

Steam said if they ever go out of business they would release the DRMs keys/code/server. Other then that we will be fuck until GoG takes it up.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Grey Fox

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2011, 09:40:22 AM
DRM and online-activations are important. They help keep the gaming industry viable.

When they fit the gameplay, sure, but requiring a player with a boxed copy to go online to activate an offline single-player campaign, no good.

I'm actually still biased against Steam for what they pulled with the Counter-Strike collection, for example.  Online activation for a game with no online features at all.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Online pass code don't exist to stop piracy or as DRM. It's to counteur Gamestop's business model fucking them up the ass.

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 12, 2011, 11:59:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2011, 09:40:22 AM

When they fit the gameplay, sure, but requiring a player with a boxed copy to go online to activate an offline single-player campaign, no good.

I'm actually still biased against Steam for what they pulled with the Counter-Strike collection, for example.  Online activation for a game with no online features at all.

Lalalala. I'm not listening.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 12, 2011, 11:59:58 AM
They did that with Football Manager and other games. It's the way they're heading. Kind of sucks.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

I've noticed that Developers have been removing that kind of stuff about a year after release.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on December 13, 2011, 07:22:24 AM

I've noticed that Developers have been removing that kind of stuff about a year after release.

What game other than The Witcher 2 had it removed?

Josquius

My one experience with online activation was with Alpha Protocol- where guess what, the online activation system completely didn't work!
Th eonly way to play the game was to crack it.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on December 13, 2011, 07:47:59 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 13, 2011, 07:22:24 AM

What game other than The Witcher 2 had it removed?

Anno 1404.  There were others, but I can't recall off the top of my head.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017