News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2012

Started by Maladict, December 10, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

It doesn't rain here, but biking 30 miles in a 30 knot crosswind wears me down.  Better than last week's headwind, but I will take yesterday's 13 miles into a 10mph wind then back with that same wind at a beam reach.

Plus, each 2 hour ride burns a fair amount of calories - the 3 mile climb in the middle also makes my legs nice and worked-outed.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on June 17, 2012, 08:28:36 PM
It doesn't rain here, but biking 30 miles in a 30 knot crosswind wears me down.  Better than last week's headwind, but I will take yesterday's 13 miles into a 10mph wind then back with that same wind at a beam reach.

Plus, each 2 hour ride burns a fair amount of calories - the 3 mile climb in the middle also makes my legs nice and worked-outed.

:thumbsup:

Still haven't found and decent hills around here.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

The climb is about 1200 feet, a couple of steepish sections, but a nice grind.  I supposed people from flat places would call it a mountain, but given that the REAL riders pedal 25 miles so they can ride up 4000 feet, I will call it a hill.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on June 17, 2012, 10:35:31 PM
The climb is about 1200 feet, a couple of steepish sections, but a nice grind.  I supposed people from flat places would call it a mountain, but given that the REAL riders pedal 25 miles so they can ride up 4000 feet, I will call it a hill.

So us 'flatlanders' aren't "REAL riders" ?  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on June 18, 2012, 10:49:12 AM

You're not a real rider til you've biked at 20k+ elevation. :yes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

No, I am not a real rider as I only do 20-30 miles each time, the real riders around here do 100 mile round trips crossing the above mentioned mountain range twice...
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on June 18, 2012, 11:41:21 AM

No, I am not a real rider as I only do 20-30 miles each time, the real riders around here do 100 mile round trips crossing the above mentioned mountain range twice...

Oh, if you'd said Nutters, you'd have made yourself a lot clearer.  :P

PDH

I know one guy who regularly bikes all day saturdays...50 miles over the mountain range, 40 miles south, then back over the mountain range along a different highway...

Makes me hurt just to think of it. 
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on June 18, 2012, 01:10:51 PM
I know one guy who regularly bikes all day saturdays...50 miles over the mountain range, 40 miles south, then back over the mountain range along a different highway...

Makes me hurt just to think of it.

Yeah, I have a friend who works in a bike shop and he's just so much fitter, he'll talk about routes he'd recommend and it'll be go this way, and take detour to this city, so you can have some urban cycling as well; so on my 60 mile round trip from A to B, he'' go via C and D racking up an extra 40-100 miles on top.
Sometimes he'll even go via E as well, I swear he suggested I get to another B from this A so to speak, which was actually all further away than the place I'd intened to go to.   :hmm:

merithyn

Owowowowowowow! Strength training hurts!  :cry:

Small problem that I'm kinda' hoping someone can help with. I'm trying to work the ab machines to help with core muscle stuff, but even on zero weights, I can't work the two machines that use the lower ab muscles.  :blush:  What do I do to work on those muscles so that I can even use the machines?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Faeelin

Quote from: merithyn on June 19, 2012, 09:14:10 PM

Small problem that I'm kinda' hoping someone can help with. I'm trying to work the ab machines to help with core muscle stuff, but even on zero weights, I can't work the two machines that use the lower ab muscles.  :blush:  What do I do to work on those muscles so that I can even use the machines?

Start with basic lower ab exercises. IMO you don't need machines until you're pretty far along with ab workouts.

In other news, I can now squat 165 lbs, deadlift 185, push press 115, and bench 140.  :showoff:

I can't decide if the paleo diet is helping or not; I've been doing a soft paleo, mostly cutting out grains but keeping greek yogurt and cottage cheese, because my cavemen ancestors drank milk.

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on June 19, 2012, 09:14:10 PM

Here's some ideas

http://www.workoutbox.com/exercises/ab-exercises/lower-ab-exercises/
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".