And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2012

Started by Maladict, December 10, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: PDH on May 28, 2012, 06:44:09 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 28, 2012, 01:39:29 PM

Made a 40 mile round trip last night to see a gig, on the way there quite a few nice little hills, but nothing on your 7000+ altitude or proper hills/mountains. 
On the way back, I had to take the main road back in the valley bottom, as I didn't fancy downhill stretches in the region of 40 mph with less than brilliant lights.  :(

My three times weekly route is a 10 mile out (rise about 600 feet), then a 2.5 mile climb (rise about 1000-1100 feet), then back.  It is a good workout - all at 7000-8500 feet.

:thumbsup:

Hills are good, pity the nearest hill to me approaching 1000 feet, Win Green, is 25 miles away, one or two counties over. So I'm not going to get any significant climb in, unlike your doorstep workout.

Oh and I guess it goes without saying all of England is under half the height of were you reside.  :D

edit:
Scafell Pike - highest mountain in England 978m 3,209 ft.:blush:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

The best thing is that the worst climb around is right out of town. The interstate (legal to ride beside) goes from Laramie's 7000ish to 8600ish in about 4-5 miles of torture.  The other direction, 20 miles from Laramie is the Snowy Range that climbs to 11,000 feet along the highway.

Needless to say, I stick to my route.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

I have a new respect for bi-athletes. :ph34r:

Walked the six miles, but only stayed at the pool for two hours (actually in the water for probably 45 minutes to an hour). It was packed with tons of teenagers with minimal self-control. We did get to play in the water for a while, however, so I am happy.

Now, I'm completely and utterly exhausted. May take the day off from walking home from work tomorrow. (That's how I usually get my time in. It's a 3-mile walk home, and I walk another 2 miles during my breaks at work.)

EDIT: Mongers and/or PDH, question for you. I was, at one time, relegated to using a cane to walk due to serious issues with my hips, back, and weak core muscles. I was able to rid myself of the cane due to intensive physical therapy, and obviously, I'm doing much better now. My PT, however, told me that due to the problems with my hips and back, I shouldn't ever ride a bicycle again. Do you have any suggestions on a style of bike that I might be able to try that won't damage me?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PDH

I had three lumbar discs go bad (as in two compressed, one - L3 - compress with ejection of fluid) in my back three summers ago.  It was agony, and I lost 20% muscle mass in my left leg as a result of this.  Walking was horrible, PT was my only savior over time.  I couldn't do much more than lie on the floor for quite a while.  However, by working on my therapy, hydrating (very important), and slowly regaining strength in that leg I was able to regain most of my strength there, though I still sometimes have flair ups.

I was told to never jog/run again - too much pounding on the back.  However, the long distance (for me never more than 2 hours) bent over on the bike was not bad, and in fact was encouraged by my physician.  I bike from May-Sept/Oct (about all I can here), and I do not feel problems in that region from doing so.  However, I also maintain the basic PT work to keep my back strong. 

Basically, biking is hard on the back if one has muscle problems, very hard.  My problems were not muscular, but spinal, and so once I had recovery in the discs I could bike again.  To be bent over for a long time is hard when one has lumbar region muscle issues.  About the only thing I could suggest would be a modified recumbent or higher handlebars that wouldn't have you bending over.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Octavian

Quote from: merithyn on May 28, 2012, 08:13:27 PM
I have a new respect for bi-athletes. :ph34r:

Walked the six miles, but only stayed at the pool for two hours (actually in the water for probably 45 minutes to an hour). It was packed with tons of teenagers with minimal self-control. We did get to play in the water for a while, however, so I am happy.

Now, I'm completely and utterly exhausted. May take the day off from walking home from work tomorrow. (That's how I usually get my time in. It's a 3-mile walk home, and I walk another 2 miles during my breaks at work.)

EDIT: Mongers and/or PDH, question for you. I was, at one time, relegated to using a cane to walk due to serious issues with my hips, back, and weak core muscles. I was able to rid myself of the cane due to intensive physical therapy, and obviously, I'm doing much better now. My PT, however, told me that due to the problems with my hips and back, I shouldn't ever ride a bicycle again. Do you have any suggestions on a style of bike that I might be able to try that won't damage me?

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Brazen

I've been floored with flu and left with catarrh that's giving me asthma when I do more than walk. I can feel my muscles atrophying as we speak.

Have you tried a recumbent bike, Meri? Though to be honest I'd take it under advisement, the whole "never ride a bike again" thing is pretty strong. I certainly can't pedal for more than half an hour without injuring myself.

Martinus

I decided to change my fitness outlets/habits as I just hate gym and the whole stuff around it.

So instead I am going to do things I actually like doing:
- bike
- yoga
- walking

And I may get a rowing machine on top of that.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on May 29, 2012, 05:43:44 AM
I decided to change my fitness outlets/habits as I just hate gym and the whole stuff around it.

So instead I am going to do things I actually like doing:
- bike
- yoga
- walking

And I may get a rowing machine on top of that.
:yes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: Brazen on May 29, 2012, 04:28:53 AM
I've been floored with flu and left with catarrh that's giving me asthma when I do more than walk. I can feel my muscles atrophying as we speak.

Ouch! I'm sorry. :hug: Get well soon.

Have you tried a recumbent bike, Meri? Though to be honest I'd take it under advisement, the whole "never ride a bike again" thing is pretty strong. I certainly can't pedal for more than half an hour without injuring myself.

I haven't, though I've thought about trying one. I've been pretty nervous to even try a bike since he said that. The problem is that my core muscles aren't strong enough to hold my pelvis together. I have very lax ligaments at front and at the sacrum around the coccyx, which means that my pelvis moves alarmingly more than it's supposed to. When my back goes out, it's at the tailbone, not in the lumbar (though I now have a slipped disk in my lower lumbar region, too). The PT felt that riding a bike would compromise the ligaments further. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DontSayBanana

Well, I'm tired of my potbelly and looking to do something about it.  Any tips for a guy who's managed to get to 163 @ 5' 3" and very sedentary?
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

Be less sedentary and wear boots with thick soles.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 29, 2012, 11:20:54 AM
Be less sedentary and wear boots with thick soles.  :P

Already halfway there. ;)
Experience bij!

Octavian

Quote from: mongers on May 28, 2012, 06:55:46 PM
Quote from: PDH on May 28, 2012, 06:44:09 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 28, 2012, 01:39:29 PM

Made a 40 mile round trip last night to see a gig, on the way there quite a few nice little hills, but nothing on your 7000+ altitude or proper hills/mountains. 
On the way back, I had to take the main road back in the valley bottom, as I didn't fancy downhill stretches in the region of 40 mph with less than brilliant lights.  :(

My three times weekly route is a 10 mile out (rise about 600 feet), then a 2.5 mile climb (rise about 1000-1100 feet), then back.  It is a good workout - all at 7000-8500 feet.

Hills are good, pity the nearest hill to me approaching 1000 feet, Win Green, is 25 miles away, one or two counties over. So I'm not going to get any significant climb in, unlike your doorstep workout.

Oh and I guess it goes without saying all of England is under half the height of were you reside.  :D

edit:

Luxury!

The highest point in Denmark is 147m or something like that  :D
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

mongers

Quote from: Octavian on May 29, 2012, 02:04:37 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 28, 2012, 06:55:46 PM

edit:

Luxury!

The highest point in Denmark is 147m or something like that  :D

Yeah, but that's a 340 miles away; I'll wager you'll find some quite decent Norwegian mountains a mere ferry journey and a bit away ?   :bowler:

Otherwise around here, it undulates a bit and that's about it, I have to go 35 km to find a 200+ m hill.

Though I've a 100m climb about 8-10 km away if I head into the forest.   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Cecil

Well that was a good run. 19.5k, almost back to my old distance. Need to work on the speed though but thats improving too albeit slowly.