Main Menu

Fitness 2012

Started by Maladict, December 10, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on April 15, 2012, 12:07:02 PM
Quote from: Maladict on April 15, 2012, 09:05:52 AM
150km race on the bike yesterday.
First time since October since I actually rode a bike, so it took a bit of getting used to. Everything went just fine until the rain and hailstorms came.
I got so cold I had to crash the bike into some building because I had no feeling left in my hands whatsoever. Bike survived and I did eventually finish  :cool:.
Also: a 22% gradient is pretty tough going.

Good grief that's hardcore, hope you're all right.

I'm not good on gradients especially on my single speed when they're sudden sharp inclines, have have been known to get off and push. :Embarrass:

150 km makes my occasional 90-100 km on the folder or single speed look rather poor.

Good luck with you're recovery.

Thanks, I've been throwing up all night  :(

Tamas

good grief, go and see a doctor

alfred russel

Posting anything health advice related on languish deserves ridicule, but...

In the recent past (2011) I've had no problem hiking 20 or so miles with some moderate climbing involved. I haven't done any hiking in 2012, though I'm running regularly (about 3.25 miles 4 times a week at a 9min/mile clip, which is off from last year but not way off).

I had nothing to do today, so a little before lunch I decided to go for a 17 mile hike. It involved some climbing, but the largest hill was just about 800 ft.--this is in line with what I've done before. It was also in the upper 80s, which is the first time this year I've been out in heat (though almost all the trails were shaded). I brought along a tuna fish sandwich to eat along the way, and then really stupidly ate it in the car before beginning the hike when I realized I could just carry the water in my hand and ditch a backpack. All I had to eat was a bag of apricots, and I ate the whole damn thing in the first half of the hike (carried in my pocket).

The result: I made it to the half way point (8.5 miles) in about 4 hours and felt awful with a touch of diarrhea. I called a taxi from there to go back to my car. I still fill a bit ill.

So what did me in so quickly? I'm thinking it was eating a bag of apricots (that was about 5 servings, or 500 calories, basically of sugar) plus the heat. But I don't know if that causes diarrhea. I don't think I had heat exhaustion/sun stroke--that doesn't seem to have diarrhea as a symptom. It is also possible that I'm just not in good enough shape, but that seems crazy since I just went 8.5 miles.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

Quote from: alfred russel on April 29, 2012, 07:36:22 PM
All I had to eat was a bag of apricots, and I ate the whole damn thing in the first half of the hike (carried in my pocket).

The result: I made it to the half way point (8.5 miles) in about 4 hours and felt awful with a touch of diarrhea. I called a taxi from there to go back to my car. I still fill a bit ill.

Eating Apricots during a road march will do that. Why didnt you just snack on some E-Lax. :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

alfred russel

Quote from: 11B4V on April 29, 2012, 09:38:34 PM
All I had to eat was a bag of apricots, and I ate the whole damn thing in the first half of the hike (carried in my pocket).

Eating Apricots during a road march will do that. Why didnt you just snack on some E-Lax. :lol:

:blush: I don't really like apricots, so I usually don't eat them. Hence I'm unfamiliar with that effect.

This makes me feel better: I'm somewhat worried my fitness has fallen apart the past few months.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

11B4V

Quote from: alfred russel on April 29, 2012, 09:42:07 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 29, 2012, 09:38:34 PM

:blush: I don't really like apricots, so I usually don't eat them. Hence I'm unfamiliar with that effect.

This makes me feel better: I'm somewhat worried my fitness has fallen apart the past few months.

They will clean you out.  I give my seven year old, when she gets stopped up.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

alfred russel

Wow--I just googled dried apricots and diarrhea and it seems chewing on ex-lax wouldn't have been so different. This was a tough way to learn that, but at least I won't forget anytime soon.

Thanks B4.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on April 29, 2012, 09:48:30 PM
Wow--I just googled dried apricots and diarrhea and it seems chewing on ex-lax wouldn't have been so different. This was a tough way to learn that, but at least I won't forget anytime soon.

Thanks B4.

:lmfao:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Dont worry. Routines go through highs and lows. For april my workouts have gone to shit. I got over 100 hours of OT so far. ;)

CountDeMoney

Dude, they're up there with prunes, for fuck's sake.  Next time, just go ahead and get some Dysentery In A Can.  :lol:

KNOW YOUR FRUITS

PDH

Did ten miles on the bike yesterday, the first ride over 15 minutes since the snow left.  Today was a gingerly waddle on bike to work.  God, the saddle gets hard after a winter off...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

My little guy got on his trike for the first time.  He still hasn't figured out how to peddle yet, but he sure enjoyed pushing himself along with his feet.  After more than an hour and he still cried and complained when we took him off.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Brazen

Can't remember if I updated that I dropped out of the Marathon with a week to go. Anyway, regrouping and going for shorter stuff for now. 15km night hike with friends at the end of the month, then a 5K hilly race and a 5K adventure race (Warrior Dash for them that knows), 10K in September and might consider a half before the year's up.

And no apricots!

Ed Anger

I haven't done shit. Other than powerlifting the remote control.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: PDH on April 30, 2012, 08:43:39 AM
Did ten miles on the bike yesterday, the first ride over 15 minutes since the snow left.  Today was a gingerly waddle on bike to work.  God, the saddle gets hard after a winter off...

:thumbsup:

I think I'd go stir crazy, not being able to cycle over the winter.

Anyway, had to go to the hospital today, so used the bike and popped into Salisbury as well to do some shopping and buy some tickets; a nice little 40+ mile trip up and down the valley.
Got home early, at a loose end, wanted to go out again.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"