News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2012

Started by Maladict, December 10, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

I had my first session back with the running club on Sunday. On Monday I was looking at my screen and couldn't see the centre because of a bright light. It spread into a star shape with a zig-zag black and white outline. I could now see through the centre but not past the edges of the star. Doctor Google diagnosed scary stuff, so I called the doc for and emergency appointment.

He quickly ruled out high blood pressure (mine's 107/76) but wouldn't talk to me any further without me going to the opticians to rule out a detached retina!

One eye-peering and several vision charts later, that was ruled out too, and it turns out I was seeing a migraine aura. The optician said it was obviously because I need varifocal lenses which start at £275 before the frames, thankyouverymuch. I begged to differ.

I don't know if it was just an ocular migraine as I'd already taken painkillers. Thinking back, I had the same before Christmas, also the day after heavy exercise, so I'm pretty sure it's exercise-induced migraine.

I should probably step things back a bit or get a heart rate monitor or something. I don't know if I should give up Marathon training - it hurts and I don't enjoy it, but I want the glory, damn it, and to wipe clean the slate of the disaster two years ago! Plus it's Olympic year AND my numbers 11111!

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on January 12, 2012, 09:08:21 AM
I had my first session back with the running club on Sunday. On Monday I was looking at my screen and couldn't see the centre because of a bright light. It spread into a star shape with a zig-zag black and white outline. I could now see through the centre but not past the edges of the star. Doctor Google diagnosed scary stuff, so I called the doc for and emergency appointment.

He quickly ruled out high blood pressure (mine's 107/76) but wouldn't talk to me any further without me going to the opticians to rule out a detached retina!

One eye-peering and several vision charts later, that was ruled out too, and it turns out I was seeing a migraine aura. The optician said it was obviously because I need varifocal lenses which start at £275 before the frames, thankyouverymuch. I begged to differ.

I don't know if it was just an ocular migraine as I'd already taken painkillers. Thinking back, I had the same before Christmas, also the day after heavy exercise, so I'm pretty sure it's exercise-induced migraine.

I should probably step things back a bit or get a heart rate monitor or something. I don't know if I should give up Marathon training - it hurts and I don't enjoy it, but I want the glory, damn it, and to wipe clean the slate of the disaster two years ago! Plus it's Olympic year AND my numbers 11111!

:hug:

Brazen, I hope it works out, but maybe it's time to give up on the achievement orientates stuff and get a bike.   :P

You could get a small dog, put it in a wicker front basic and become more of a feature of you local community, as you sailed past people would exclaim " there goes mad dog basket lady" or some such similar affection epithet.   :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

I've taken to walking in place while watching tv or movies. Seems a bit easier to find the motivation for that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 12, 2012, 12:11:03 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on January 11, 2012, 10:14:38 PM
I ran a half-marathon last year in St. Louis

Did you put a 13.1 sticker on your car?
[/quote

Nope, did not do that.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Did 30 odd miles on Friday evening, and at the end felt like I'd lost a couple of toes; modern Brit not use to the now occasional actual winter temperatures.  :(

FunkMonk

So I got whacked in the back of my leg while playing soccer on Sunday (and the ref didn't blow his whistle   :ultra:) and now I think I have a calf strain. I can't walk without considerable pain unless I raise my heel so I'm walking around like I have a peg leg.  :pirate

Been doing the rest, ice, compression, elevation thing. Anyone know how long these injuries tend to last? I'm figuring at least a week, probably longer.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 17, 2012, 12:16:25 PM
So I got whacked in the back of my leg while playing soccer on Sunday (and the ref didn't blow his whistle   :ultra:) and now I think I have a calf strain. I can't walk without considerable pain unless I raise my heel so I'm walking around like I have a peg leg.  :pirate

Been doing the rest, ice, compression, elevation thing. Anyone know how long these injuries tend to last? I'm figuring at least a week, probably longer.

I'd have thought Brazen is our point man for that sort of stuff.

Good luck with it, they'll still be plenty of time in the spring and summer to pick up that slack.   :)

mongers

Very different day today, got off early and managed to pop over to one of my favourite hill forts ins Darset, nice little 35 mile round trip; had to stop several times to remove unnecessary clothing, didn't need gloves a hat and other than the wind requiring a light wind-cheater, I could easily have got away with just a t-shirt and this being mid-January.  :hmm:

Ideologue

Well I stand around doing and lifting shit for 4-9 hours at a time.  That's exercise, isn't it?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on January 18, 2012, 05:00:38 PM
Well I stand around doing and lifting shit for 4-9 hours at a time.  That's exercise, isn't it?

Yep, I used to do that too, though I'd also cycle there and back at the end of the shift.    :P

mongers

So how are everyone's 'programs' going ?

:showoff: ?

:)   ?

:hmm:  ?

:(  ?

or

:ph34r:  ?

Eddie Teach

Ideologue

I totally did some sit-ups and push-ups yesterday.

Not as many as I used to be able to do, when I did them regularly. :(  Like, 33 and 55 percent of peak, respectively.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on January 20, 2012, 05:04:26 PM
I totally did some sit-ups and push-ups yesterday.

Not as many as I used to be able to do, when I did them regularly. :(  Like, 33 and 55 percent of peak, respectively.

Heh, I probably haven't done a single push up or sit-up in like 15 years.   <_<

Eddie Teach

You can ride your bike for 30 miles but you can't do a sit-up?  :huh: