Weirdest Recession Protest: Man Eats Own Finger

Started by Sheilbh, April 28, 2009, 04:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Union Boss Eats His Finger In Wage Protest

11:40am UK, Tuesday April 28, 2009
A Serbian union official has chopped off his finger and eaten it in a protest over wages to show how desperate he and other workers are.

"We, the workers have nothing to eat, we had to seek some sort of alternative food and I gave them an example," Zoran Bulatovic said.

"It hurt like hell," he added.

Mr Bulatovic, a union leader at the Raska Holding textile factory in Novi Pazar, southwest Serbia, used a hacksaw to cut off most of his left-hand little finger.

Mr Bulatovic decided to act after his deputy, a single mother of three, said she would chop off her finger.

"I could not allow her to do that," he explained.

State-owned Raska Holding was a major textile producer in the late 80s with a workforce of 4,000.

But it suffered during the collapse of the former Yugoslavia in the 90s.

A loss of markets and mismanagement during a decade of wars and sanctions led to massive job cuts, leaving the company with just 100 workers.

Some employees at the factory have not been paid for years, only collecting social benefits, like free medical care.

Last year, about two dozen workers went on a 19-day hunger strike.

They want the company's debt to be swapped for state-held equity and a welfare programme for those nearing retirement.

Mr Bulatovic said his comrades will not back down from their demands.

However, he said they will postpone planned self-mutilations at least until unions have held talks with government officials.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Well, as a union official, it's not like he actually does any work, so why would he need his fingers?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

fhdz

QuoteHowever, he said they will postpone planned self-mutilations at least until unions have held talks with government officials.

:D
and the horse you rode in on

jimmy olsen

Can't they just drag him off to the loony bin?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 28, 2009, 05:14:26 PM
Did he cook it? Pig meat can be bad if raw.
I suspect that if you eat yourself you can't get anything you don't already have in the first place. ;)

lustindarkness

Quote from: Zanza2 on April 29, 2009, 07:55:15 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on April 28, 2009, 05:14:26 PM
Did he cook it? Pig meat can be bad if raw.
I suspect that if you eat yourself you can't get anything you don't already have in the first place. ;)
Hmm, that almost makes sense.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Monoriu