News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PSA: Game Discounts

Started by vinraith, April 28, 2009, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I am debating grabbing Strategic Command: WW1.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on June 25, 2020, 04:30:07 PM
Steam Summer Sale went live a few hours ago.

Anyone here ever play Torment:  Tides of Numenara?  It's cheap now and I just beat D:OS2 so I need a new RPG to play.

I think you'll like it. I only played like 1 hour of it but it seems a right game for you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: frunk on June 25, 2020, 07:28:12 PM
So I'm pulling the trigger on Stellaris.  Base game is 75% off.  If I bundle with the DLC I get those for 50% off.  Which should I go for?

Since I'm doing a space 4X jag I'll probably also get the 2016 Master of Orion for $10.  Worth it?

This article is a good overview for Stellaris DLC: https://www.strategygamer.com/articles/stellaris-dlc-buying-guide/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 25, 2020, 10:42:47 PM

Anyone here ever play Torment:  Tides of Numenara?  It's cheap now and I just beat D:OS2 so I need a new RPG to play.

I think you'll like it. I only played like 1 hour of it but it seems a right game for you.
why'd you only play it for an hour?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

I'm thinking about getting ME: Andromeda since I loved the original trilogy so much and a bunch of people on here (AmScip, etc.) said Andromeda was also good, despite the horrid reviews.

But... even though it's on Steam now, it sounds like you still need to run Origin to play it?  Huh?  I don't like Origin and actually I recently uninstalled it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

What's the feeling about Field of Glory: Empires?  I have the port of the miniatures game so I can get a double discount.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

You could try the thread on it?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on June 25, 2020, 11:32:37 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 25, 2020, 10:42:47 PM

why'd you only play it for an hour?

Those kind of game are not for me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Is Steel Division 2 any good? Will it scratch my Combat Mission 2: Barbarossa to Berlin itch? And yes I know that Steel Division 2 is an RTS.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 26, 2020, 11:57:00 AM
What's the feeling about Field of Glory: Empires?  I have the port of the miniatures game so I can get a double discount.

Highly recommended

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on June 26, 2020, 12:36:38 PM
Is Steel Division 2 any good? Will it scratch my Combat Mission 2: Barbarossa to Berlin itch? And yes I know that Steel Division 2 is an RTS.

From what I've seen of the game it looks like playing a Combat Mission game at triple speed and a lot more gamey. Check Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front instead (there's let's plays and tutorials on YouTube).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2020, 10:37:19 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 26, 2020, 12:36:38 PM

From what I've seen of the game it looks like playing a Combat Mission game at triple speed and a lot more gamey. Check Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front instead (there's let's plays and tutorials on YouTube).

Thanks. I've been eyeing Mius Front for years but haven't pulled the trigger. I'll look at it again.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Compared to CM games, the Graviteam games are a bit more hands off with less direct control once combat starts; positioning is more important. The best about their campaigns is the lack of script. You're not sure what a battle will look like - you may send overwhelming numbers against a small token force, run past the enemy in the forst during the night, or get caught with your pants down by a major attack where you only have a small handful of defenders. And because of that no "gamey" scenario design where you can guess at the scenario designer's goals/tricks.

I had some of my favorite WW2 gaming memories in it. Like a desperate defense against an infantry attack across a frozen ford, and sending my under-strength Pz-III column to protect the flank from Soviet armor with my last tank taking out three enemies. An enemy tank hit by my fire, but it keeps trundling forward, so you're not sure it's actually disabled (till it drives into a ditch) - after the battle I saw that my first hit took it out, but it just kept rumbling along. My infantry making desperate attacks against a tracked Soviet tank with little success. There's a lot of little emergent stuff like that. Not to mention the wrecks of the tanks and corpses of my and enemy soldiers being persistent and remaining on the field in later skirmishes in the campaign in the same sector.

Sample gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRDGVc54CP0

I still have trouble with ordering arty and handling supply/reinforcements after combat, though. :blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Oh, a bit of a warning, though. The dev studio is quite small, with a niche audience, so they don't have many resources, which limits their scope. They said adding new vehicles (3D model, vehicle physics etc.) is one of the biggest constraints they face. They're from Kharkov IIRC, so the mostly focus on the fighting in that area 1943/43. Their dev said on the Steam forums that he has little to no interest in any WW2 scenarios beyond 1943 - so no Bagration or Seelow Heights scenarios are likely to come.

They worked with Strategy First to release a North African set game. It's "more of the same", but even though it's set in the more diverse Tunisian landscape (as opposed to the pretty featureless Western Desert), I find the terrain quite dull. But you get US units, so there's that. I would love them to do a Bulge campaign, but I think that's very unlikely to come.

I wouldn't buy Operation Star - most scenarios/DLCs (with some exceptions, like the fictional Iran-USSR clas in Afghanistan) have been carried over. Unless there's a scenario from the older game you're desperate to play. They do have some oddball DLC, though. For Mius Front there's two packs based on the 1987 Bush War in Angola, featuring South African and UNITA forces. There's also one about the 1969 border clashes between USSR and China. And they like scenarios with lend lease units like the Sherman or Churchill-II.
—Stephen Jay Gould