News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PSA: Game Discounts

Started by vinraith, April 28, 2009, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Speaking of Warplan - I wonder if Berkut ever tried it out.

grumbler

Quote from: frunk on February 25, 2020, 09:43:18 PM
If you micromanage you will crush the AI almost every time.  I've found it best to take a high level manager's route, which gives a challenging game as the AI fights against the AI at the local level.

If you'll be driven crazy by your subordinate AI doing stupid things and/or don't want to put in the time to figure out how to give general orders to get them to mostly do what you need then it may not be ideal.

Agreed.  I think the game is amusing enough on the strategic level to be worth playing, but the only tactical-level stuff you need to watch out for is when, inevitably, your allies follow up every success you have by flooding the area to fill all the airbases so full they are useless, and use up so much supply that your troops are at 40% attrition levels.  If you are allied to the Brits, you need to pull out as soon as they show up, because they drag in all of their empire buddies (who would rather fuck up your advance than defend their homelands).

One of the reasons France falls so quickly when run by the AI is because their army gets sent to Poland, then cut off and destroyed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Pedrito

XCOM 2 and expansions are on GOG from today, and for the next 14 days will be at considerable discount (the full packet will be on sale at € 22.35, but only if you buy everything).

I loved XCOM and Enemy Within, but Inever tried XCOM 2: is it worth the money and time?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Tamas

Quote from: Pedrito on March 16, 2020, 12:56:16 PM
XCOM 2 and expansions are on GOG from today, and for the next 14 days will be at considerable discount (the full packet will be on sale at € 22.35, but only if you buy everything).

I loved XCOM and Enemy Within, but Inever tried XCOM 2: is it worth the money and time?

L.

Oh hells yeah. Much better than XCOM, even. Play it first WITHOUT the big expansion pack. But then get the expansion pack. It's awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on March 16, 2020, 02:29:04 PM

L.

Oh hells yeah. Much better than XCOM, even. Play it first WITHOUT the big expansion pack. But then get the expansion pack. It's awesome.

What about the other DLC?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2020, 05:44:04 PM

L.

What about the other DLC?

I downloaded it and started playing a little.

It looks pretty cool, but I have to say, the lack of any intro story is baffling. You just kind of show up and I guess the aliens have taken over the earth? Seems like maybe they should tell me about that...

0 rows returned

Pedrito

L.

:)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Josquius

The expansion pack continues beyond the end game rather than adding to the existing campaign?
I played the core game but never got the expansion
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 17, 2020, 04:22:21 AM
The expansion pack continues beyond the end game rather than adding to the existing campaign?
I played the core game but never got the expansion

War of the Chosen adds to it, IIRC. But a whole bloody lot.

Berkut

I bought the bundle (when I added everything to my cart, it kind of ignored the individual item costs and just charged me $27, so quite a steal). But it seemed like when I started, I was forced into the War of the Chosen content. I think. I tried turning it all off, but I never got any kind of basic intro or story.

0 rows returned

celedhring

War of the Chosen ramps up the difficulty quite significantly imho.

Solmyr

So can you play it without War of the Chosen first, if you have the expansion already?

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on March 18, 2020, 06:11:13 AM
So can you play it without War of the Chosen first, if you have the expansion already?

IIRC yes. And you should.

Josephus

FM 2020 free for a week or so
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on March 18, 2020, 07:32:58 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on March 18, 2020, 06:11:13 AM

IIRC yes. And you should.

I'm really not getting why. It seems to be extras for the main game rather than an addition to the main campaign.
Unless you fancy playing the whole thing twice?
██████
██████
██████