B.N. - US Navy Sinks Submarine Outside Key Naval Base.

Started by mongers, December 06, 2011, 04:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Exactly 70 years ago today, give or take 5-6 hours, the first 'shots' are fired in the Pacific War:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor

QuoteHowever, Ward sank another midget submarine at 06:37, the first American shots fired in World War II.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 06, 2011, 04:57:06 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 06, 2011, 04:40:36 PM
Thread of infamy.

He's a day early. Thread is a sneak attack.

So I am, for some reason I thought the islands were on the other side of the international date line; looking it up I've confused this with the fact that as far as Japan was concerned it happened on the 8th.  :blush:

edit:
So if the Islands are +10 GMT then I'm early by 18 1/2 hours.   <_<

AnchorClanker

I saw one of those midget subs at the Nimitz Birthplace / Museum of the War in the Pacific in Fredricksburg, Texas back in 2000.  Man... I would never, ever want to be in one of those.  Even with a crew of three, that's just too cozy.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Ed Anger

Japs were good at origami. They could fit 'em in easy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 06, 2011, 05:06:12 PM
I saw one of those midget subs at the Nimitz Birthplace / Museum of the War in the Pacific in Fredricksburg, Texas back in 2000.  Man... I would never, ever want to be in one of those.  Even with a crew of three, that's just too cozy.

Yeah there's one of the really small german midget subs in the Imperial war museum, it looks like little more than what a deranged plumber and his mate might knock up on a Sunday afternoon as a joke.

Admiral Yi

Keep in mind that the WWII era Nip was a tiny little wanker.  IIRC the height cutoff for a tanker was 5'4".

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2011, 05:16:40 PM
Keep in mind that the WWII era Nip was a tiny little wanker.  IIRC the height cutoff for a tanker was 5'4".

Oh, I know.  The living spaces on their surface ships was also spartan beyond belief.  Tough dudes.
If you're ever passing through Texas, Fredricksburg is atcually worth a stop.  Museum + Beer Gardens, lovely little town.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

A date which will live in Infamy! Great speech by President Roosevelt.

Caliga

This makes me want to play Silent Hunter IV again with the amazing radio mod I found on the interwebs.  Thing had like thousands of hours of newsreel archives plus period music.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Quote from: KRonn on December 06, 2011, 06:25:07 PM
A date which will live in Infamy! Great speech by President Roosevelt.

yeah, except of course, can you really be shockered that a country under oil embargo from you attacks you?