News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Teh dramaz of home pwnership

Started by Scipio, April 28, 2009, 12:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

So, this weekend we had to replace our sewer service line.  Due to poor planning, the sewer mains on my block run down the center of the block, between the houses.  With no alley.  They may be replaced in the next three years.  My sewer line was, until Saturday, an amalgam of cast iron, PVC, and concrete.  Now, it is PVC and concrete.  It cost me $100 in labor for my handy man, plus excavator and materials, totaling $470.00.

Now, I find out I need to renovate my foundation at the front of the house.  Two estimates: one, from my foundation guy, who is a misanthropic neanderthal coonass who keeps all of his money literally buried in the ground on 240 acres of family land (no joke- he once paid a client of mine with mildewed 100s), for $4500.00, and one from my handyman for $3500.00.  The wife and I are hereby canceling vacations, etc.

HUZZAH! :mad:
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

:bleeding: Trust me, I can relate dude.

I had a sewer pipe crack in my old Massachusetts house, such that every time someone flushed the toilet it dumped shit/piss into the basement. :x

The pipe was cast iron and probably 100 years old.  The entire thing had to be removed and replaced with PVC.  I forget the cost.

Then there was the time the furnace (it was an old steam boiler heated with natural gas) had a low water cutoff failure, and cracked and was smoking and red-hot by the time I discovered it.  That cost close to $5,000 (the furnace had to be totally replaced).

Then there was the time the city sewer that went by my house suffered a partial collapse/total blockage and my basement was flooded with raw sewage.

Anyway, :hug:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Holy shit.

There. Somebody had to say it. Now you can carry on. ^_^
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

Well crap. That's some shitty luck you have there. I hope this doesn't constipate your finances to the point that you can't at least squeeze out a little fun time with the wife.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Weatherman

You must live near shit creek Cal.

grumbler

Quote from: Weatherman on April 28, 2009, 07:32:52 PM
He actually lives up it, and has no paddle.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

I actually have ONE paddle (but only one, for some reason  :huh: ) on my boat.  :cool:

garbon

Quote from: Weatherman on April 28, 2009, 07:32:52 PM

If he was talking about his m'boro house, it was because he lived in the trashiest part of town.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on April 28, 2009, 08:52:19 PM
I actually have ONE paddle (but only one, for some reason  :huh: ) on my boat.  :cool:

I have three paddles on my boat (err, canoe). :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

My toilet once exploded while I was away.  Whole flat flooded.  By 3 inches of salt water.

One night, when I finished showering and opened the shower doors, I found the entire door detached from the frame, and me holding it up in the air.

I once ate at the dinner table and there were raindrops coming from somewhere - my air con was raining. 

11B4V

I feel your pain. It's what I been doing for the past two years. Replacing/redoing to bathrooms, laminate flooring, doors, etc, and I'm still not done.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on April 28, 2009, 09:11:18 PMIf he was talking about his m'boro house, it was because he lived in the trashiest part of town.

Nah, it was trashier still on the other side of Pleasant Street, but yeah it was pretty bad.  Thanks, Brazilians  :mad:

Monoriu

The owners' committee of my housing estate recently sent us a poll - how much do you want the committee to spend to beautify the entrance, enhance the status of the estate and increase the resale value of flats.  The five choices ranged from US$100k to double that.  :bleeding:

In my return, I created a sixth option of $0 and ticked that.

Caliga