If You Could Redo Your Life, What Age Would You Start?

Started by Admiral Yi, December 01, 2011, 06:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Prompted by Peter Wiggin's comment in another thread.

I have no interest in being 5 again.  Probably puberty for me.

Razgovory

February of 1997 I think.  Maybe January or December of 1996.  I'm not exactly clear on dates, but around then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Might as well do it all over again from a very young age.  After all, I'm old enough to appreciate being a kid at this point.

Mind you, I'd probably do pretty much the same things, as they seem to have worked out for me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2011, 06:03:58 PM
I have no interest in being 5 again.  Probably puberty for me.
This.  I'd say about 13 or so.  Though honestly, I wouldn't mind a second shot at a lot of things in life.  That odd balance between those fuck ups making you into who you are now weighed against the temptation of what could have been, if only.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

MadImmortalMan

January 7th, 1995. And I'd give that harpy some justice this time.  :mad:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

KRonn

Probably as a kid, maybe about 8 years old. And man, I wouldn't want to do the same things over again! I'd want some real change! Hope and change!    ;)

Ideologue

Earlier the better, I suppose.

I'd be richer than God by the end of it anyway.  I'd probably be in Congress by now, if I could even be bothered to care, as I would have the mind of an old man by this time.

Question: would I have the same plasticity of mind as a child, were I to go back to my childhood?  That is, would I have an easier time learning foreign languages, etc.?  Or would I have, physically, the brain of my 29 year-old self?  The latter seems somewhat unavoidable (as well as, for the most part, desirable; I didn't go back just to fuck-up like I did the first time).  If so, could I prove I was from the future with neuroimaging techniques?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 01, 2011, 06:22:45 PM

Who are you planing to kill?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Wait a minute, you were like thirteen in 1995. :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 01, 2011, 06:42:38 PM

Wait a minute, you were like thirteen in 1995. :unsure:

He's talking about that AD&D harpy he failed his character's dexterity roll against that one night.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 01, 2011, 06:30:21 PM
Earlier the better, I suppose.

I'd be richer than God by the end of it anyway.  I'd probably be in Congress by now, if I could even be bothered to care, as I would have the mind of an old man by this time.

Question: would I have the same plasticity of mind as a child, were I to go back to my childhood?  That is, would I have an easier time learning foreign languages, etc.?  Or would I have, physically, the brain of my 29 year-old self?  The latter seems somewhat unavoidable (as well as, for the most part, desirable; I didn't go back just to fuck-up like I did the first time).  If so, could I prove I was from the future with neuroimaging techniques?

I think one thinks too highly of himself. :whistle:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

I was 18. She was 19. And evil.

It all turned out good for me in the end though.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Siege on December 01, 2011, 07:03:18 PM
Can I keep my memories until this moment?

I assumed that. It wouldn't be as useful otherwise.