News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Great War

Started by The Brain, December 01, 2011, 11:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Conrad comes across as very annoying in the history books. Of course his country was retarded but that's not a great excuse.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on December 12, 2011, 02:42:20 PM
I think Falkenhayn deserves some points for realizing the true nature of the war. ie. his Verdun offensive was for attrition not the elusive breakthrough. It's a sad ironic thing that if he wasn't so convinced that a true breakthrough was impossible, it might, it might just had happened at the opening phase of that offensive. But as I said, IIRC he was the first high level decision maker to not only realize how that war could be won, but also acted on it.

But German and French casualties were just about equal at Verdun as were Allied and German casualties on the Somme.  Trading man for man with the Allies was not an attrition tactic that was going to work.

I do not think the Germans could have broken through at the opening phase of the offensive but they could have taken Verdun and forced the French to take up positions behind the Meuse.  Which is precisely why Falkenhayn didn't want to do it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on December 12, 2011, 03:50:10 PM
Conrad comes across as very annoying in the history books. Of course his country was retarded but that's not a great excuse.

He was one of the primary reasons his country acted so retarded.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2011, 03:56:47 PM
I think Falkenhayn deserves some points for realizing the true nature of the war. ie. his Verdun offensive was for attrition not the elusive breakthrough. It's a sad ironic thing that if he wasn't so convinced that a true breakthrough was impossible, it might, it might just had happened at the opening phase of that offensive. But as I said, IIRC he was the first high level decision maker to not only realize how that war could be won, but also acted on it.

But German and French casualties were just about equal at Verdun as were Allied and German casualties on the Somme.  Trading man for man with the Allies was not an attrition tactic that was going to work.

Well yes. At the end he made the wrong conclusion out of an otherwise perfectly correct (and again: early, compared to his enemies) realization. But trading casualities at a 1:1 rating was surely not the original plan for the offensive.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2011, 03:56:47 PM

The attack at Verdun was designed to maximize French casualties while minimizing German casualties, and was not concerned with actually advancing and taking territory.  As it happened, however, the initial attack was so successful that the Germans couldn't resist the temptation to try and sieze Verdun, with the predictable outcome of their casualties increasing dramatically.  If they had stuck with the plan, they might have acheived a favorable kill ratio.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on December 12, 2011, 04:01:35 PM
Well yes. At the end he made the wrong conclusion out of an otherwise perfectly correct (and again: early, compared to his enemies) realization. But trading casualities at a 1:1 rating was surely not the original plan for the offensive.

Well to fair to him the game changed alot between 1915 and 1916.  Advances in artillery and infantry tactics and weapons outpaced his strategic thinking.  But that happened all the time to generals in that war.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on December 12, 2011, 04:02:59 PM
The attack at Verdun was designed to maximize French casualties while minimizing German casualties, and was not concerned with actually advancing and taking territory.  As it happened, however, the initial attack was so successful that the Germans couldn't resist the temptation to try and sieze Verdun, with the predictable outcome of their casualties increasing dramatically.  If they had stuck with the plan, they might have acheived a favorable kill ratio.

That is a good point.  Those kinds of considerations ruined many a WWI plan.

The Brain

The Verdun battlefield is awesome. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2011, 04:04:55 PM
Quote from: dps on December 12, 2011, 04:02:59 PM

That is a good point.  Those kinds of considerations ruined many a WWI plan.

What's interesting is that I've often seen wargamers playing WWI games make the same kind of mistakes, even though we have the benefit of hindsight and know to a great extent what does and doesn't work.  For example, in March to Victory/Over There, experienced players know that it's a mistake to advance the BEF into the Brussels area in the opening turn, because that lets any Central Powers player who's not completely inept cut the BEF to ribbons.  Yet, if the CP player give the Entente an opportunity to move the BEF into central Belgium, 9 times out of 10, the Entente takes the bait.  In fact, often the CP players will be less aggressive than they probably should be (the Germans can actually be at the Franco-Belguim border west of Brussels before the Entente gets to move it the CP is aggressive enough) because they know that the BEF will advance too far east given the chance.

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

:wub:

I like his giant deaths head.

So dreamy. :wub:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

I like his gentle, approachable demeanor. :wub:

Chapeau is very nice too.

Neil

Conrad annoys me.  His failure to exterminate the Serbian race is unforgivable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on December 12, 2011, 08:08:13 PM
Conrad annoys me.  His failure to exterminate the Serbian race is unforgivable.

It's not like you have made much progress on that front.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017