News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So you wanna be a codebreaker?

Started by Brazen, December 01, 2011, 06:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

The UK's spy centre GCHQ has launched a codebreaking challenge on social networks. Have a crack (see what I did there?) at it here:
http://www.canyoucrackit.co.uk/

No spoilers if you break it!

Josquius

Is that in hex?
My hex reading skills have gone to pot.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I bet what's his name could do it.  You know that guy who used to own the board.  I can't remember his name.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2011, 07:45:44 AM
Ank?

That's it.  For a minute I could only remember his real name.  He hasn't said exactly what he does but he's left hints that he's into code breaking.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grey Fox

Razgovory

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2011, 08:16:33 AM
Me or him.  If it's him, well duh.

Him. You, you're the handler. You have the bestest of cover.

Admiral Yi

DGuller

WTF is this supposed to be?  It's hard to break a code if you don't even know what the end result should look like.  Is the end result a letter, a word, a gibberish number/letter combination, or a sentence?

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on December 01, 2011, 09:00:53 AM
WTF is this supposed to be?  It's hard to break a code if you don't even know what the end result should look like.  Is the end result a letter, a word, a gibberish number/letter combination, or a sentence?

:lol:

I guess you're not the target audience for this.  :hmm:

DGuller

Is this a breakable code, or is this one of those things where you challenge the public to solve something that has baffled the experts?

Brazen

Quote from: DGuller on December 01, 2011, 09:23:21 AM
Is this a breakable code, or is this one of those things where you challenge the public to solve something that has baffled the experts?
It's breakable. the BBC shows teh page you get taken to when you get it right.

Brazen

"Enter keyword" might just be a clue.

DontSayBanana

That's one of the characteristics of good encryption- that it doesn't describe itself.

I'm taking a crack at it.
Experience bij!