News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

5% of students in 8 states unvaccinated

Started by jimmy olsen, November 28, 2011, 02:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: Tyr on November 29, 2011, 01:15:21 AM
Meh, being surrounded by 95% vaccinated people should keep them safe from whatever virus right? Or can the vaccinated still carry?

If you don't have an immune system then that one jackass who didn't get his vaccines is enough to kill you... but hey, as long as the Meri and other luddites get to choose to turn their children into murder weapons, then it's all cool.

The Brain

How To Win Friends And Influenza People changed my life. Now I listen to my body.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: Fate on November 29, 2011, 02:57:51 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 29, 2011, 01:00:52 AM
That article isn't very informative. I mean, that increase could be entirely made up of people refusing to vaccine against Chickenpox (a reasonable refusal since it's a convenience vaccine), the 'flu (another convenience vaccine), and HPV (a fairly controversial vaccine). All of these have become required vaccines in a number of states in the last five to ten years, and could be the cause of most of the increase.
I take it you've never had shingles... VZV is hardly a convenience vaccine.
infertility and death kind of sucks too
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Richard Hakluyt

I don't see how children can give meaningful consent to being injected  :hmm:

dps

Quote from: Monoriu on November 28, 2011, 08:57:27 PM
So, from an individual point of view, it doesn't make sense to get it.  Of course, from a society point of view, it is best for everybody to get vaccinated. 

It's the problem of the commons in another form.  It's why extreme libertarianism is a bad idea, even from my POV.  As far as I'm concerned, parents ought not be allowed to opt out of having their children vaccinated (though I'd make required vaccines available throught the school nurse--assuming we still have those).

Josephus

Quote from: Ideologue on November 28, 2011, 02:26:01 PM
Put them in a quarantine zone.  They're lost causes.

Especially these:

Quoteas well as government-fearing libertarians.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on November 29, 2011, 02:35:23 AM
The issue of informed consent for medical procedures is pretty marginal even in decisions involving an individual only.  After all, there is a reason doctors spend many years in order to be able to make informed decisions themselves.  When it comes to matters concerning the whole public, that philosophy is downright disastrous.

When even doctors question the convenience vaccine requirements, the state has no business requiring them. After all, I'm much more likely to trust my doctor than the state in just about every possible way.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

That article isn't very informative. I mean, that increase could be entirely made up of people refusing to vaccine against Chickenpox (a reasonable refusal since it's a convenience vaccine), the 'flu (another convenience vaccine), and HPV (a fairly controversial vaccine). All of these have become required vaccines in a number of states in the last five to ten years, and could be the cause of most of the increase.

Studies to date show that kids who are vaccinated for varicella young are more likely to get shingles as an adult since they forget to get the boosters.

Razgovory

There lots of crazy doctors.  I remember a local doc who kept stitching his name in people during surgery.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Did you choose (stay with) your doctor because he/she shares your beliefs?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

merithyn

Quote from: HVC on November 29, 2011, 05:10:07 PM

Varicella doesn't cause infertility, and rarely causes death. In fact, if you do the research you'll find that varicella is one of the less dangerous viruses out there. It does, however, require two weeks of time, something that isn't easily (or happily) given in this day and age.

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on November 29, 2011, 07:28:03 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 29, 2011, 05:10:07 PM

Varicella doesn't cause infertility, and rarely causes death. In fact, if you do the research you'll find that varicella is one of the less dangerous viruses out there. It does, however, require two weeks of time, something that isn't easily (or happily) given in this day and age.
chicken pox can cause orchitis (swelling of the testicles) in teenage and adult men which can and often does lead to sterility and hormon deficiency.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on November 29, 2011, 07:25:48 PM

Studies to date show that kids who are vaccinated for varicella young are more likely to get shingles as an adult since they forget to get the boosters.

Can't be that many studies.  You could only really the vaccine by the mid 1990's.  Not that many people had time to get it and grow to adulthood.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

my point, if any, is that the chances of complications from the chicken pox vaccine is smaller then the chances of complications from the disease itself, so why not vaccinate if your main concern is health related?

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on November 29, 2011, 07:24:39 PM
When even doctors question the convenience vaccine requirements, the state has no business requiring them. After all, I'm much more likely to trust my doctor than the state in just about every possible way.
Define "even doctors".  Is that every doctor, majority of doctors, or some kook somewhere?