News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rep. Barney Frank announces retirement

Started by garbon, November 28, 2011, 01:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Well, if I ever get charged with running a gay prostitution ring, I will certainly be claiming they I didn't know they were in my basement.

"Morning officer, what can I do for you".

"Save the pleasantries Raz, we caught you red handed."

"Red handed?  What the hell are you talking about?",

"Don't play dumb with us, we can see the guys standing around the room dressed like the Village People.  It's damned obvious what is going on here!"

"Wait... You can see them too?  Ooooooh."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 28, 2011, 11:17:13 PM
Can't blame the guy for running a brothel out of his basement. He's an entrepreneur. Isn't that what we want? Small businesses creating jobs?

Hell, I wouldn't mind having a brothel in my basement. It'd be kinda cool.
you'd need gold teeth.
PDH!

KRonn

Sheesh, about time for Frank to step down! Only been 30+ years.   <_<    He's much too lefty for me, but his constituents like him, so that's what matters. I could never understand it,  but this is Massachusetts and anyone with a "D" next to their party affiliation gets extra credit in elections.

I'm still annoyed over the parts that he, Dodd and any others, Dem or Repub, played with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and the problems in the housing mess those institutions have played.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

We need a #-of-terms-served limit. Badly. Career politicians are one of the reasons we are in our current mess.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on November 29, 2011, 12:55:48 PM
Sheesh, about time for Frank to step down! Only been 30+ years.   <_<    He's much too lefty for me, but his constituents like him, so that's what matters. I could never understand it,  but this is Massachusetts and anyone with a "D" next to their party affiliation gets extra credit in elections.

I'm still annoyed over the parts that he, Dodd and any others, Dem or Repub, played with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and the problems in the housing mess those institutions have played.

It's odd he gets so much flak for something that passed when his party had the minority in the House.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on November 29, 2011, 02:35:56 PM
We need a #-of-terms-served limit. Badly. Career politicians are one of the reasons we are in our current mess.

Opposite is true actually.  The last big crisis (the debt ceiling thingy) was not caused by "career politicians".  It was caused by neophytes.

Iormlund

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2011, 03:28:59 PM
Quote from: KRonn on November 29, 2011, 12:55:48 PM

It's odd he gets so much flak for something that passed when his party had the minority in the House.
As I understand it, he's been a proponent of Fannie and Freddie. But I'm not just blaming him. Those agencies were taking in bad mortgages and selling them as mortgage securities and such. So many of them went bad, adding to economic woes. Why didn't anyone take a close look at these actions? Frank was on the Financial Commissions, head of one I believe, so maybe he should take some responsibility for failure of Fannie and Freddie, and for them not being reigned in. Along with others who didn't notice, either incompetence for not knowing or negligence if they did know.

Razgovory

Dodd and Frank or the culprits according to conservative land despite being in the minority at the time.  Revealing the other actors in the scenario would be embarrassing.  The result is this strange circumstance where members of the minority party are the main culprits.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2011, 03:30:31 PM
Opposite is true actually.

No, it really isn't.

QuoteThe last big crisis (the debt ceiling thingy) was not caused by "career politicians".  It was caused by neophytes.

Even if that were wholly true (and it leaves out the entire bit about how we got to a point where we needed to raise the debt ceiling again, so your argument's flawed from the get-go) it does not necessarily follow that career politicians do not carry with them their own set of problems.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Perhaps, but that baggage is separate from the neophyte baggage of not knowing how everything works.  Have existing term limit legislation improved government?

This is just pure populist hogwash.  People get corrupted by power "up there", and they lose that good 'ole common folks sense needed to run government.

Maximus

Quote from: fahdiz on November 29, 2011, 02:35:56 PM
Yes, and that # is one.