News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rep. Barney Frank announces retirement

Started by garbon, November 28, 2011, 01:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/rep-barney-frank-announced-retirement-181445416.html

QuoteDemocratic Rep. Barney Frank of Massachusetts says he does not intend to seek re-election in 2012.

Frank spoke Monday at a news conference in his hometown of Newton.

Frank said he originally intended to run for one more term, but that his decision was partially due to the fact that the state's new redistricting map will include many people he has never represented before.

Frank said he has had a "busy and stressful" four years dealing with financial reform after the recession.

He says he plans to write and stay involved in public policy decisions.

The 71-year-old Frank, and a lifelong liberal, won a House seat in 1980 was one of the first lawmakers to announce that he is gay.

Today is a good day.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

His committee replacement will be Maxine Waters.

Not a good day.  :cry:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Oh, the stock market apparently agrees with me. Buckle up.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 28, 2011, 01:57:47 PM

I thought the line on Maxine was corrupt, not stupid.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2011, 04:06:49 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 28, 2011, 01:57:47 PM

I thought the line on Maxine was corrupt, not stupid.

I thought that it was both.

FunkMonk

Who was it here who was a big fan of this guy? Was it Count? Or am I getting my ex-posters here mixed up?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Ideologue

I miss Count.

Iirc, Feingold was the one he wanted to fuck, though, attributing to him superhuman abilities possessed only by a Roosevelt, or an Edwards.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Count was cool despite his love for the Red Sox.  Shame he lost his shit and quit.
PDH!

MadImmortalMan

Lost his shit? I thought he just stopped posting much and faded off. He was busy with school, IIRC.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ideologue on November 28, 2011, 07:36:16 PM
I miss Count.

Iirc, Feingold was the one he wanted to fuck, though, attributing to him superhuman abilities possessed only by a Roosevelt, or an Edwards.

Yeah, you're right. Got Feingold mixed up with Frank.

I got the Count part right.  :bowler:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.