Indefinite Military Detention Coming to a Town Near You

Started by jimmy olsen, November 27, 2011, 03:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 28, 2011, 11:40:05 AM
So, anyone have a serious comment on this?

Well what do you want us to say Tim?  This has been going on for a decade...and to be fair is not exactly outside precedents from the ACW, the World Wars, and the Cold War.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2011, 11:41:22 AM

Well what do you want us to say Tim?  This has been going on for a decade...and to be fair is not exactly outside precedents from the ACW, the World Wars, and the Cold War.
Is there a domestic insurrection raging against half the nation? Was the military acting on domestic soil as law enforcement in those latter conflicts?

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Military custody for AQ guys is not that big a deal, provided that the basic guidelines set down by the Supreme Court are followed.

As for indefinite detention - its hard to tell from what you have posted how exactly this is being done.  If it is through outright suspension of the Writ, it may be constitutional (depending on how one defines "Invasion"), albeit a crappy idea.  If through simple enactment without suspension, the courts may have something to say on the matter.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

We gave up on America when they started to publically champion the systematic use of torture. What were they thinking?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on November 28, 2011, 12:07:49 PM
We gave up on America when they started to publically champion the systematic use of torture. What were they thinking?

Better to do it systematically than ad hoc.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

The precedent in the ACW was that this kind of thing couldn't be done, and the precedents for the World Wars and Cold War followed those of the ACW.  What is being proposed here is far, far outside those precedents - though what is proposed here is just a political stunt, and going nowhere.

To be fair to you, what is being proposed here does have the precedent of conforming to what the Shrubbery believed the law and Constitution to say, but the since USSC told them to STFU, it may not be of much comfort to you.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 28, 2011, 11:45:06 AM

Is there a domestic insurrection raging against half the nation?

Not yet.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on November 28, 2011, 12:53:31 PM

The precedent in the ACW was that this kind of thing couldn't be done, and the precedents for the World Wars and Cold War followed those of the ACW.  What is being proposed here is far, far outside those precedents - though what is proposed here is just a political stunt, and going nowhere.

To be fair to you, what is being proposed here does have the precedent of conforming to what the Shrubbery believed the law and Constitution to say, but the since USSC told them to STFU, it may not be of much comfort to you.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.  But if the USSC is going to shut this thing down then good for them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: grumbler on November 28, 2011, 12:53:31 PM

I'd guess that there were over 100,000 Japanese-Americans who would agree with Valmy that this is not exactly outside precedent.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on November 28, 2011, 01:19:04 PM
Korematsu is still good law afaik.

Technically this is true - it has never been overruled by the Court.  But the discussion of the case in Hamdi v. Rumsfeld doesn't suggest the present Court carries a very positive view of the outcome.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 28, 2011, 02:30:40 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 28, 2011, 01:19:04 PM
Korematsu is still good law afaik.

Technically this is true - it has never been overruled by the Court.  But the discussion of the case in Hamdi v. Rumsfeld doesn't suggest the present Court carries a very positive view of the outcome.

Yeah, it's still technically valid law I suppose, but I wouldn't call it "good" law.  IMO it ranks as one of the worst decisions the Court has ever handed down.  I tend to agree with Justice Murphy's dissent (or at least the excerpts of it that I've read).