News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Was Vito Corleone Right about Narcotics?

Started by Queequeg, November 25, 2011, 05:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Watching The Godfather again.  I've always wondered if Vito wasn't in some sense right about the influence of narcotics on organized crime-Vito and his generation were able to court politicians fairly openly, and the Mafia, for all it's brutality, was more often interested in gambling, extortion and loansharking rather than ruining entire neighborhoods with narcotics.  There does seem to be a shift in the nature of the business from grey-area mobsters such as Bugsy Siegel to the heroin and cocaine based gangs that rise to prominence in the 60s and 70s. 

With that said, most of what I know is from movies.  Were the gangs already moving to narcotics at the end of prohibition?  Was it inevitable that the profits narcotics would bring would make narcotics gangs  dominant? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

They were already in narcotics long before 1960's.  There were Mob prosecutions for Heroin in the 1920's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Didn't you ask this exact question a couple of years ago.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 25, 2011, 05:20:59 PM

I thought it was only a few months ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

If they didn't, someone else would have, and that someone else would roll in enough cash to destroy them.

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on November 25, 2011, 05:02:26 PM
Watching The Godfather again.  I've always wondered if Vito wasn't in some sense right about the influence of narcotics on organized crime-Vito and his generation were able to court politicians fairly openly, and the Mafia, for all it's brutality, was more often interested in gambling, extortion and loansharking rather than ruining entire neighborhoods with narcotics.  There does seem to be a shift in the nature of the business from grey-area mobsters such as Bugsy Siegel to the heroin and cocaine based gangs that rise to prominence in the 60s and 70s. 

With that said, most of what I know is from movies.  Were the gangs already moving to narcotics at the end of prohibition?  Was it inevitable that the profits narcotics would bring would make narcotics gangs  dominant?

What exactly was Vito's thesis again?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Yes, he was right the negro.
And so was Henry Hill in Goodfellas, about why they get caught.

Queequeg

I think I did. I end up watching The Godfather every Thanksgiving or Christmas, and the question always comes to mind.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on November 25, 2011, 05:17:25 PM
They were already in narcotics long before 1960's.  There were Mob prosecutions for Heroin in the 1920's.
Hmm. Will have to look up the % of income.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on November 25, 2011, 07:41:16 PM
I think I did. I end up watching The Godfather every Thanksgiving or Christmas, and the question always comes to mind.
Quite the holiday movie! :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 25, 2011, 08:01:34 PM
Quite the holiday movie! :unsure:

Family was very important to the Corleones.  :)

Who else thinks Talia Shire looks yummy in the "give me some money so this gigolo can marry me" scene?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 25, 2011, 08:04:03 PM
Who else thinks Talia Shire looks yummy in the "give me some money so this gigolo can marry me" scene?

Just you.  But we expect that, and no longer question your weirdo taste in women.

Admiral Yi

Is that the grumbler "we," or did you conduct a lighting survey by pm on the question?

CountDeMoney

I've been tracking your metrics since 2003.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?