Salvatore Montagna shot dead in Montreal

Started by viper37, November 24, 2011, 04:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvatore_Montagna#Death

He was the acting Boss of the Bonanno family, recently [1-2 years ago] deported to Canada by US authorities.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Your name is Salvatore Montagna...you killed many people...prepare to die.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Siege

Quote from: Josephus on November 24, 2011, 05:31:51 PM

Nah. Professional hitmen only speak in the movies.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on November 24, 2011, 07:22:29 PM

How many professional hitmen do you know?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2011, 07:42:29 PM

"It's an old Israeli message.  It means Abdullah Mohammed is now sleeping with the goats in a well."

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2011, 07:42:29 PM

Ok, you win.
I dont' know any.

You see, I got another virtue.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Apparently, he's the one suspected of killing Nick Rizzuto last year.  That family ain't yet dead, possibly, and took its revenge.  Either that, or one of the other 3 contenders to the throne got rid of him.  Desjardins, one of his long time associate was also targetted earlier this year.

Here's the text on Sal's death:
http://bitterqueen.typepad.com/friends_of_ours/

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Interesting.  Police arrested the suspects of this murder a couple of weeks ago.  Now, we learn they manage to intercept their Blackberry communications; somehow, the criminals believed Blackberry to be 100% secure and used it for their criminal activity.  The RCMP was involved, but they won't say if they cracked Blackberry's messenger system of if they got a warrant to seize computer material from RIM.

I suspect they cracked RIM's code.  The Italian mafia, the last of RIM's customers are apparently losing faith in the company now ;)

French text

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on January 05, 2012, 11:25:38 AM
Interesting.  Police arrested the suspects of this murder a couple of weeks ago.  Now, we learn they manage to intercept their Blackberry communications; somehow, the criminals believed Blackberry to be 100% secure and used it for their criminal activity.  The RCMP was involved, but they won't say if they cracked Blackberry's messenger system of if they got a warrant to seize computer material from RIM.

I suspect they cracked RIM's code.  The Italian mafia, the last of RIM's customers are apparently losing faith in the company now ;)

French text

What they probably did was serve a warrant on RIM and ask them to track/intercept the messages. This is standard operating procedure and ought to have come as no surprise by the Mafia.

The battles over RIM security are mostly caused by RIM insisting on court-authorized warrants for such snooping, and a wide variety of nasty state goons insisting they get to snoop without warrants.

RIM's system is quite secure - except of course from RIM.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Why do parents give their kids mob names?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on January 05, 2012, 11:34:49 AM
The battles over RIM security are mostly caused by RIM insisting on court-authorized warrants for such snooping, and a wide variety of nasty state goons insisting they get to snoop without warrants.
ah, that's the thing :)

I just tought dumb of the mafia to trust any kind of electronic system.  Encrypted or not, it leaves traces.  I thought they learn this with their cellphones when they tought no one could snoop on it like a landline.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on January 05, 2012, 03:16:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 05, 2012, 11:34:49 AM
ah, that's the thing :)

I just tought dumb of the mafia to trust any kind of electronic system.  Encrypted or not, it leaves traces.  I thought they learn this with their cellphones when they tought no one could snoop on it like a landline.

There are systems on which it is very difficult to snoop, like so-called PIN to PIN messanging. However, difficult isn't the same as impossible - and if served a warrant, RIM can indeed snoop on PIN to PIN.

http://crackberry.com/pin-pin-messaging-secure

Quoteif served with a warrant RIM will provide the plain text of your PIN messages.

QuoteBottom line, if you're not on a BES treat your BlackBerry like it is Facebook and assume nothing is private. If you are on a BES and send and receive email within your company it is secure, all other communications can be seen by others.

.. and of course the cops can tap into any BES with a warrant.

In conclusion: nothing is truly "secure" from the authorities if they are really motivated except emails actually encrypted with hard crypto - which is sort of useless for instant messenging.