News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ubisoft games - poster children for piracy?

Started by Syt, November 24, 2011, 12:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Slargos on November 26, 2011, 07:21:07 PM
People have been screaming that copyright infringement will kill [entertainment industry X] for literally centuries.

Wake me when PC gaming is actually dead.

Be interesting to see which dies first. PC gaming or PCs. I think it will be close.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2011, 07:54:25 PM
People have been screaming that copyright infringement will kill [entertainment industry X] for literally centuries.

You have to wait till something has happened irrevocably before you become concerned?

Why should I be concerned over something that is apparently inevitable? It would be like fearing my own death or, you know, leaving my basement.

I expexct people will develop games for the pc-equivalent 100 years from now. Hurricane in a glass of water, this.

Razgovory

Quote from: Slargos on November 26, 2011, 07:59:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2011, 07:54:25 PM

You have to wait till something has happened irrevocably before you become concerned?

Why should I be concerned over something that is apparently inevitable? It would be like fearing my own death or, you know, leaving my basement.

I expexct people will develop games for the pc-equivalent 100 years from now. Hurricane in a glass of water, this.

You seem overly concerned about the immigrants to Sweden and Norway.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Warspite

PC gaming won't die, but it's changed in ways directly related to the effects of piracy - and not for the better.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Razgovory

Quote from: Warspite on November 26, 2011, 09:44:59 PM

PC gaming won't die, but it's changed in ways directly related to the effects of piracy - and not for the better.

It already has.  What annoys me about this the attitude of the pirates.  They try to justify it to, and claim their actions aren't having an effect on the market.  Or chose to believe it has an effect on the market selectively.  "So-and-so game developer keeps putting DRM protection on their games!  I'll show them!  I'm not buying the game.  I'll pirate it!", and when so-and-so game developer decides not to release on PC for the sequel or simply goes out of business they act shocked or outraged.

It's no coincidence that online type games have show the biggest growth over the last decade.  World of Warcraft brings in something like 1/4th of the revenue of the entire PC game market.

Berkut

I think PC gaming is where it is today (and frankly, it isn't that bad) because of changing technology, not piracy.

The consoles have taken over because they have the lions share of the gaming market and gaming dollars. And I don't think people buy XBOXs and PS3s because they are safe from piracy.

PC gaming has taken a back seat to console gaming for reason that were well understood long before it actually happened. Has very little, if anything at all, to do with piracy.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Wow, Berkut you completely missed the point.  Nobody argued that "people buy XBOXs and PS3s because they are safe from piracy".

Slargos

Nah, I think Berkut is on the money here. It's changed due to new technology.

I'm willing to keep an open mind, though.

Would you please delineate the ways in which PC gaming is changing which are directly related to Piracy?

Note, I said PC gaming and not Ubisoft. Ubisoft may be changing their business practices in an attempt to get away from piracy (or using it as an excuse for failing to keep up with the marketplace) but I would expect someone else to take their place.

Slargos

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/119/1198547p1.html

I don't know how accurate this article is, but it seems to indicate that PC gaming is, in fact, just fine.

Slargos

QuoteDoug Lombardi of Valve Software points out that the company's roots lie  in PC game development. "That's where Valve started and exclusively  spent the first eight years of the company's 15-year history. We've  stuck with it because we've found it to be a great platform for our  games and our business," he says. "I can't really think of a time when  not developing for the PC was ever discussed. It has always been central  to what we're doing." Since launching in 2002, Valve's games platform  Steam has become an integral part of the industry for developers,  publishers and gamers alike.

But I guess those Valve suckers are idiots, huh?

Razgovory

I want to know how they got data for the future.  How much of that is due things like Facebook games or WoW?

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on November 27, 2011, 02:16:21 AM
I want to know how they got data for the future.  How much of that is due things like Facebook games or WoW?

I would expect it's a prediction based on known quantities and observations.

For instance, I know that next year you will still be a worthless, jobless spitfuck, and next year hasn't come around yet.

Slargos

http://news.yahoo.com/asia-powers-pc-rebound-computer-gaming-industry-185502578.html

Quote"I think this is a phenomenal time for the PC gaming industry," said Tan  Min-Liang, the Singaporean co-founder and chief executive of Razer,  which was founded in 1998 in San Diego, California.

QuoteEntertainment industry research firm DFC Intelligence  said in a market report released in September that the PC could  dethrone consoles as the dominant hardcore gaming platform in three  years.
Data from the firm showed that the global PC games market raked in a record $16.2 billion last year, up 20 percent from 2009.

All these executives must be blithering idiots, and the projections crudely crafted lies, right? :rolleyes: