News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Way to go, Britards

Started by CountDeMoney, November 24, 2011, 10:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

For a nation that, for whatever reason, finds the shortened version of "Paki" for Pakistanis is OMG RIGHT WOTS ALL THIS RACCISS THEN, one would think you'd have grasped nuance as well by now.

And blaming some ex-pat Teabaggers is just poor form, as I was telling my man Buskers this morning over pudding, not at all very sporting, I must say.

QuoteCollege: Obama effigy burning 'not intentionally racist'
University says 'crassly insensitive' students will send letter of apology to White House

A Conservative party college student association in Britain will send a written apology to Barack Obama after its members burned an effigy of the U.S. president, it was announced Thursday.

Matthew Marshall, the President of the Conservative and Unionist Association at St Andrews University, in Scotland, apologized "unreservedly" for the incident, which took place on a beach last weekend.

A source said a number of the Conservative group's committee members were Americans who support the Republican party.

The University — founded in 1413 and where Prince William and Kate Middleton both studied and met — said the society would be writing to Obama to apologize.

Members of the association burned the effigy after its committee chose the U.S. president over the late Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi, a student official told msnbc.com on Wednesday.

The incident took place on a beach in St. Andrews on Friday as part of a tradition by the society that has seen effigies of former U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown burned and former South African President Nelson Mandela hung among others.

'Satisfied'
A statement issued by the university on Thursday said: "We are satisfied that while the actions of the St Andrews Conservative Association in burning an effigy of President Obama were naïve and crassly insensitive, they were not intentionally racist."

"This incident however has caused very understandable offence and concern to many people and the University deeply regrets this," it added.

"We have met the President of the Conservative Association to make him aware of the University's very serious concerns and he has been quick to make an unreserved public apology, and it is correct that he has done so," the statement said. "We welcome his assurance that this practice will not be repeated. The Conservative Association is also to write to offer a personal apology to President Obama."

Marshall had earlier said he was sorry the incident had happened.

"President Obama is an important ally to the British government. It was a stupid thing to do and we apologize for any offense caused," he said.

It is unclear who was actually responsible for the burning of the effigy.

jimmy olsen

If it was hanged in effigy I could see the racism. How often were blacks burned alive?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Brazen

I suspect a few years back they'd have burnt an effigy of Bill Clinton and we'd never have heard of it. They already did Gorgon Brown and no-one raised an eyebrow.

Mind you, bear in mind they're in Scotland - burning anyone who isn't ginger could probably be construed as racist.

Posh thickoes (or in fact students of any kind) do stupid stuff at University, news at 11.

Eddie Teach

It's poor form, but so is seeing racism everywhere.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 24, 2011, 10:36:54 AM
If it was hanged in effigy I could see the racism. How often were blacks burned alive?

Enough.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 24, 2011, 10:57:33 AM

In Georgia you are suppose to politely ignore it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Richard Hakluyt

They used to burn Reagan in effigy over at Lewes Bonfire with monotonous regularity. The Pope as well of course and the Prime Minister.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2011, 11:00:20 AM
In Georgia you are suppose to politely ignore it.

Politely ignoring people is my m.o. in public. When that doesn't work, I rudely ignore them.

Razgovory

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 24, 2011, 11:02:29 AM
They used to burn Reagan in effigy over at Lewes Bonfire with monotonous regularity. The Pope as well of course and the Prime Minister.

They used to hang the Pope in effigy on Guy Fawkes day in America.  Then George Washington told them to stop.  So they did. :wub:

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 24, 2011, 10:57:33 AM
It's a problem with some brands of American.  Just like it was unpatriotic to crticize Bush, now it's racist to criticize Obama.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2011, 10:59:07 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 24, 2011, 10:36:54 AM

Enough.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
State rights weren't always pretty, but they worked.

Martinus

It's idiotic and cretinous beyond belief to find racism in that. There is no history of lynching blacks in the UK, so the symbolism is not there to make it racist (even if he was hanged, rather than burned, in effigy). On the other hand, there is a long traidition of burning/hanging politicial figures in effigy.

The only racists here are the morons who think this, otherwise politically clear, message has a different meaning because Obama is black.

Josquius

This is retarded. And a clear example of race only being a problem because we make it a problem. You should be free to think a black guy is a dick without having to worry about being called racist for it.

I note it says they burned a Mandella effigy in the past...surely that would be more racist, the guy being actually black? There was no fuss there though....or at least it isn't mentioned.

For a nation that, for whatever reason, finds the shortened version of "Paki" for Pakistanis is OMG RIGHT WOTS ALL THIS RACCISS THEN, one would think you'd have grasped nuance as well by now.

And this from a nation which finds the term Oriental offensive...

Different countries have different histories and find different terms offensive.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on November 24, 2011, 08:23:40 PM

Different countries have different histories and find different terms offensive.

I prefer calling them "celestials".

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on November 24, 2011, 08:23:40 PM

Seedy is a nation, now?  When did that happen?

And when did "Oriental" become something the SeedyNation found offensive?  Obsolete when referring to people (as in Oriental versus Occidental), but hardly offensive, except to the highly-PC crowd, who think that "man" and "woman" are offensive.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!