News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Boredom before computers

Started by Phillip V, April 28, 2009, 01:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

I am constantly amazed that I can have entertainment at the click of a button.

1000 years ago, what did people do with their boredom? I assume that hard labour took up most of their time, but there must have been instances where they could only sit and twiddle their thumbs, such as in the dead of winter. I can only think that something that everybody could play to pass the time and did not require extra equipment was masturbation and fucking. Thus, how did masturbation and fucking rates compare from then to now?

Delirium

Nothing changed except the entertainment - boredom ratio.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Syt

Since all people from those days are dead I presume they died of boredom.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

They worked through all the hours of daylight and slept as soon as it got dark, simple as that. People would be a lot happier now if they did more of the same.

Eddie Teach

You're pretty young still, it's possible to get weary of computer games and internet.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Brazen on April 28, 2009, 06:00:36 AM
They worked through all the hours of daylight and slept as soon as it got dark, simple as that. People would be a lot happier now if they did more of the same.

Yes, but I always wondered what the idle plebs of the city of Rome did between gladiator bouts.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Watch other people do nothing. Sat on their asses & smoked.

Boredom was only invented when the TV came around.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

A wild guess, maybe they interacted more with other people than we do today ?  :blink:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

You kids would have loved the 70's.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Brazen

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 28, 2009, 07:59:09 AM
You kids would have loved the 70's.
Especially the three-day weeks causing power outages for hours at a time in the evening. We used to sit round candles while our parents told us stories about the war. No, really.

Caliga

Quote from: mongers on April 28, 2009, 07:57:05 AM
A wild guess, maybe they interacted more with other people than we do today ?  :blink:
Unpossible.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

szmik

they were drinking and interacting, what else?  :huh:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Brazen

When you die at 25, there's not much time to get bored.