News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dogs and Aging

Started by jimmy olsen, November 22, 2011, 08:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Typically larger species live longer than smaller ones, however if you look at dogs small breeds live longer than large ones. Why?  :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Larger species tend to be more complex and have longer reproductive cycles. Larger size in an individual puts more stress on the system. I imagine smaller humans tend to live longer too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 22, 2011, 08:10:52 PM
Larger species tend to be more complex and have longer reproductive cycles. Larger size in an individual puts more stress on the system. I imagine smaller humans tend to live longer too.
But larger breeds are more similar in size and shape to the Wolf which was the species that they were bred from. One would think that would lead them to being healthier and the little freakshows which are gross deviations in size and shape from the base form would be less healthy. However it turns out to be the opposite.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Random guess: less cell division, and hence less shearing of the telomeres/opportunities for mistakes in replication, and hence less genetic damage undertaken, in the process of reaching nominal size in a smaller individual than in a larger individual.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Big dogs are more likely to be outside so they get hit by cars more often.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 22, 2011, 08:16:36 PM
Well that's true, but even taking that into account the average Irish Wolfhound last just 7 years while a Beagle will live 13.

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Smaller stuff breaks faster.

HVC

I assume it what they were bred for. Larger dogs are working dogs. They were breed to live hard, which often means a shorter life span. Lap dogs weren't bred with this in mind. They were there to live longer. Big Dogs have only become pets in the modern sense a short while ago (relativiely).

Or you can go the genetic route. all dogs are basically in a prolonged neonatal wolf state. Small dogs are more neonatal so retain youth longer and live longer.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on November 22, 2011, 09:24:13 PM
I assume it what they were bred for. Larger dogs are working dogs. They were breed to live hard, which often means a shorter life span. Lap dogs weren't bred with this in mind. They were there to live longer. Big Dogs have only become pets in the modern sense a short while ago (relativiely).
I think part of the problem is that some many of these large breeds are relatively new or have been conserved and refounded from small inbred populations.

If you actually had them do the work they were originally bred to the chaff would be shed very quickly and stronger and more healthy dogs would be the only ones to survive to breed. As it is most are bred for a specific aesthetic look that has nothing to do with how good the dog would have been at its original job.

Siberian Huskies for example are a relatively large dog but they're healthy, have few genetic defects and can live from 10-15 years. This is doubtlessly due to the fact that they have been worked hard within recent times. Can't pull a sled if your hips displace. Can't do the work and the owner won't breed you.

Basically my solution is that if the wolves in Wyoming must be culled, then we should only use wolfhounds and broadcast the hunt live on tv.

1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 22, 2011, 08:24:12 PM
Well that's true, but even taking that into account the average Irish Wolfhound last just 7 years while a Beagle will live 13.

Well, it's not just getting hit by cars.  Dogs that spend a lot of time outside are probably more exposed to more parasites and diseases, and other hazards as well.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on November 22, 2011, 10:42:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 22, 2011, 08:24:12 PM

Well, it's not just getting hit by cars.  Dogs that spend a lot of time outside are probably more exposed to more parasites and diseases, and other hazards as well.
Hmm...this is true.

However I wasted a good amount of time actually looking up academic studies of what kills big dogs and the leading causes are mostly all cancers and weird congenital defects. Goes back to the inbreeding and selecting for aesthetic traits instead of selecting them for the ability to actually hunt or do work. 

However as gene sequencing plunges in price there seems to be a lot of hope among breeders that many genetic defects can be breed out of the gene pool.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

The heart doesn't scale up as much as the rest of the body in big dogs, as such it has to work harder.

The short lifespan of dogs is one of the saddest things in the universe :(
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Like Tyr said, it's stress on the circulatory system and the joints.

There's probably a similar factor at work to the recent discovery that tall people get cancer more - basically the more cells you have, the more there is to go wrong.

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 23, 2011, 03:15:48 AM
The short lifespan of dogs is one of the saddest things in the universe :(

yes, hearthbreaking :(

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Brazen on November 23, 2011, 04:40:01 AM
Like Tyr said, it's stress on the circulatory system and the joints.

There's probably a similar factor at work to the recent discovery that tall people get cancer more - basically the more cells you have, the more there is to go wrong.
Wolves are on par with the largest dogs in size, though not weight and they'll live on average 6-8 years in the wild but live 12-15 in captivity.  They live a rough active life but are healthier.

1 Karma Chameleon point