News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dick moves in your line of work.

Started by Martinus, November 21, 2011, 12:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2011, 01:48:25 PM
These sound like petty annoyances, not "dick" moves.

Dick moves in my line of work:

-lawyers who constantly say 'oh I'm sure we can work something out', but on the day of trial won't admit anything

The lawyer admitting something would be interesting:  "I submit that my client could not have killed his wife, because I did it".   

:D

Barrister

Quote from: dps on November 21, 2011, 03:15:05 PM

-lawyers who constantly say 'oh I'm sure we can work something out', but on the day of trial won't admit anything

The lawyer admitting something would be interesting:  "I submit that my client could not have killed his wife, because I did it".   

Admissions are the necessary grease to the wheels of justice.  Defence counsel will routinely admit very basic facts that everyone knows the Crown can prove, but will be time-consuming for everyone involved.  Things like admitting continuity of exhibits, the identity of the accused, the ownership and value of items.

So before a bigger trial Crown will invariably contact defence to work out what can be admitted, and what can not, so we can have a more effective trial.

Thus, the giant dick move that is to constantly respond with vague generalities like 'I think we can work something out', 'I'm pretty sure we can do that', 'that sounds reasonable - let me get back to you', only to show up on the day of trial and say with a smirk "nope, we won't admit anything".

That's not an annoyance - that is something trying to fuck you over.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2011, 01:20:43 PM
When I get a automated call from a credit card company, usually for one of the employees and it starts "please hold the line while we find an available representative".   Fuck that.  I hang up immediatly.

You should screen your calls better.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on November 21, 2011, 02:19:26 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 21, 2011, 12:17:51 PM

I wait for them to ask again

:mad:

I am used to cooperating with people who don't give a fuck, but in my new role that has grown up a scale as I coordnate stuff. I understand that people have other stuff to do than the one I am telling them, so I am always polite and wait days between e-mails (unless it's super-urgent), but FFS, if you can do it in a couple of minutes when I chat on you, be a playa' and answer my e-mail, damn.

If this continues I will send an e-mail explaining stuff, then chat on the recipient immediately, and I won't care how much of a prick he/she will take me for. God damn.

My situation is little different then what I meant. I assume that when you ask someone to do something for you, that you have explained everything that needs to be done clearly. That is not what I face.

I face the "Can you test this new Camera for me right now, it's an emergency" and then they disappear while I scour the office for their fucking Camera.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2011, 03:21:46 PM
Quote from: dps on November 21, 2011, 03:15:05 PM

Admissions are the necessary grease to the wheels of justice.  Defence counsel will routinely admit very basic facts that everyone knows the Crown can prove, but will be time-consuming for everyone involved.  Things like admitting continuity of exhibits, the identity of the accused, the ownership and value of items.

So before a bigger trial Crown will invariably contact defence to work out what can be admitted, and what can not, so we can have a more effective trial.

Thus, the giant dick move that is to constantly respond with vague generalities like 'I think we can work something out', 'I'm pretty sure we can do that', 'that sounds reasonable - let me get back to you', only to show up on the day of trial and say with a smirk "nope, we won't admit anything".

That's not an annoyance - that is something trying to fuck you over.

Yes, I was just being silly.

derspiess

Training my clients a week prior to a conversion & having them show no interest in the subject matter.  Then hearing from my boss a few weeks after the conversion that they're claiming they weren't trained. 

I'm going to start making them sign a form acknowledging that they were trained on each topic.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Slargos

Previous employees now working for a competing business trash talking the quality of service at our establishment when, ironically, they were the cause for the dropping quality to begin with.

Defacing our adverts is just gravey. Fucking uppity cunts will eventually be taught a lesson.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2011, 05:23:03 PM
Training my clients a week prior to a conversion & having them show no interest in the subject matter.  Then hearing from my boss a few weeks after the conversion that they're claiming they weren't trained. 

I'm going to start making them sign a form acknowledging that they were trained on each topic.

Use an LMS. Even better.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Habsburg

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 21, 2011, 01:33:46 PM
People way overuse the cc feature in their email correspondence. It's obnoxious.

Or don't use it at all... :mad:...then I get quiries from other departments about thing I do not know of.  :mad:

garbon

Quote from: Habsburg on November 21, 2011, 09:03:37 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 21, 2011, 01:33:46 PM
People way overuse the cc feature in their email correspondence. It's obnoxious.

Or don't use it at all... :mad:...then I get quiries from other departments about thing I do not know of.  :mad:

Yeah I'd say that more often than not on work e-mails of actually importance, people are left out that should be included.  However, there is also the dick move of copying a person's boss on an e-mail, before even talking to the person in question, as if that will get them to work faster.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

What I can't stand is the overall inherent passive-aggressiveness of corporate culture; it is simply mind-boggling.  It's all smiles and knives.  I don't get it.

What you do learn, however, when you don't play that game is that you amass level of distrust with everyone around you.  Which is why you never put anything down in an email.  Ever.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2011, 05:23:03 PM

:lol: That used to happen *nonstop* at my last employer.  Upper management understood, though, and didn't hold it against the training dudes.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Iormlund

Asking for detailed bids implying you'll get million-euro sized projects only to hand them over to someone else.

Trying to fuck us over specifications.

Telling us everything is ready for us and finding out the facility is not even hooked up to the grid and our guy can do nothing but stand there for a week.

Implying that my algorithms are shoddy work to the owners, yet time and time again carefully avoiding to provide your own, apparently superior alternatives. Yes I'm talking about you Mr. Smarty-pants University Professor.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 22, 2011, 06:55:01 AM
What I can't stand is the overall inherent passive-aggressiveness of corporate culture; it is simply mind-boggling.  It's all smiles and knives.  I don't get it.

Amen.

Recent example from colleagues: "Sure, we can handle the workload."

Behind our backs: "Lazy fucks won't help us and we'll be lucky if we finish on time."

On second thought, it's the general inability of many people to say no when they can't deliver on a request.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.