News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Deficit Talks Fail

Started by jimmy olsen, November 21, 2011, 09:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 21, 2011, 08:17:59 PM
You pretend to forget about Obama's offer and then act surprised when anyone ever brings it up.

I'm not an unbiased observer. I'm a member of the Republican party and have voted GOP in the last three elections.

I have never once forgotten about Obama's offer and never once acted surprised when anyone brings it up.  You have your facts wrong.

People like Faeelin act as if history began on the day Obama made that offer.  People like Raz act as if the three consecutive years of 10% of GDP deficits, one year with absolute Democratic control of all the levers, and two with Democratic majorities in the House and Senate, are GOP talking points.  Everybody conveniently forgets that up until the GOP landslide all the talk was about Stimulus III and "long term deficit reduction." 

It's the purest chutzpah to be responsible for an increase in the national debt by 30% of GDP and blame a supercommittee which was designed to fail and which at best was going to deliver an additional $30 billion a year of deficit reduction of "kicking the can down the road."

Razgovory

Is anyone seriously talk about "Short term deficit reduction"?  I mean, your precious Ryan plan was pretty long term.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2011, 08:58:01 PM
Is anyone seriously talk about "Short term deficit reduction"?  I mean, your precious Ryan plan was pretty long term.

Raz: Yi, what exactly does "long term deficit reduction mean?"

Yi: It means we don't even start addressing the deficit until 4 or 5 years from now.

Raz: Oh, thanks.

Razgovory

I suppose this is much easier for you if you just talk to yourself.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2011, 08:28:08 PM
It's the purest chutzpah to be responsible for an increase in the national debt by 30% of GDP

Come again?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Can you narrow it down a little Joan?

Faeelin

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2011, 09:58:21 PM
Can you narrow it down a little Joan?

Trying to figure out who is supposed to responsible for the 30% GDP increase in the national debt and how that was determined.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Look at all those disastrous tax cuts.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

fhdz

Quote from: Neil on November 21, 2011, 10:01:44 PM

Yep. Ugly as fuck, isn't it?
and the horse you rode in on

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2011, 08:28:08 PM

People like Faeelin act as if history began on the day Obama made that offer.  People like Raz act as if the three consecutive years of 10% of GDP deficits, one year with absolute Democratic control of all the levers, and two with Democratic majorities in the House and Senate, are GOP talking points.  Everybody conveniently forgets that up until the GOP landslide all the talk was about Stimulus III and "long term deficit reduction." 

It's the purest chutzpah to be responsible for an increase in the national debt by 30% of GDP and blame a supercommittee which was designed to fail and which at best was going to deliver an additional $30 billion a year of deficit reduction of "kicking the can down the road."
Okay this is a bit more reasonable.  However, just because they were responsible for increasing the deficit by 30% doesn't mean that Obama's offer to the Republicans wasn't legitimate. It was and should have been accepted if the GOP congressmen really cared about the deficit. If they weren't afraid of the activists in the Tea Party they would have accepted.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: Faeelin on November 21, 2011, 09:59:40 PM
What am I missing?

I'm not on board with Yi holding Obama responsible for 30% of the country's debt, but to take a position that might very well be his side, a statistic showing that Bush was an even wilder deficit spender than Obama doesn't support that Obama was very frugal.

I would say the statistics you cited support the reaction of "chutzpah".
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Just for quick reference: 30% of US GDP is about $4.5 trillion.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: fahdiz on November 21, 2011, 10:02:49 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 21, 2011, 10:01:44 PM
Yep. Ugly as fuck, isn't it?
It's sad the extent to which voodoo economics has ruined your country.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.