Pike & Shot or Line Infantry Better Against Traditional Fantasy Horde?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 18, 2011, 06:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2011, 01:49:41 AM
This is what I get for not making anti-semitic jokes on Languish. :rolleyes:

I thought you refrained from that because Malthus and Minsky intimidate you.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 20, 2011, 07:12:55 AM

I thought you refrained from that because Malthus and Minsky intimidate you.  :hmm:
The TimeCube has alll answers. Stop being stupd edicated.
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Slargos on November 20, 2011, 04:10:33 AM
Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2011, 05:32:56 PM
Quote from: Slargos on November 19, 2011, 04:11:31 PM
Pike/musket combination ala the 1700 Carolean army. It's the only way to be sure.
Wasn't that army humiliated and destroyed by a horde?

nope.logistics destroyed it. the horde never won an engagement where the superior nature of the model was applicable.

Couldn't even feed themselves?  Pathetic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Pike/musket combination ala the 1700 Carolean army. It's the only way to be sure.
nope.logistics destroyed it. the horde never won an engagement where the superior nature of the model was applicable.
Poltava?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 20, 2011, 08:28:46 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 20, 2011, 07:12:55 AM

The TimeCube has alll answers. Stop being stupd edicated.

Walton Cube.  :mad:

Attention Misguided Reason Followers

Waltoncube is absolute economy of thought.
Cubeless thinking begets common sense.
Cubeless thinking allows for REASON GOD.
Your IGNORANCE of Waltoncube is evil.

Basketball is not a single game
Baskteball is 4 games cubed 4 × 1/4,
producing quarterly cube halved.
You are so stupid that you were educted
to think one game is single and not cubed.
Learning and attentiveness has RETARDED you.
TIME CUBE explains only 1/4 UNIVERSAL LAWS
Spectatorship is evil without cubic thought.
Waltoncube invalidates all common logic.

Bill Walton understands quartered professional game.
Attentive fans are EVIL to embrace single game thought.
Bill Walton is quartered superior to REASON GOD.
Bill Walton can accept simultaneous greatness
because of cubic thought.
Every player can be "greatest of all time" because
of WALTONCUBE paradigm that invalidates REASON GOD.
Every team can be simultaneously "worst of all time"
because Waltoncube logic negates reason paradigmn.

You are composed of 4 × 1/4 retarded quarters.
All quarters are simultaneous, comprising your stupidity.
NOT accepting Waltoncubein favor of reason is EVIL AND STUPID.
Players who make turnovers during 4 × 1/4 game are worst of all time.
The same player making shot then becomes greatest ever SIMULTANEOUSLY.
ONLY BILL WALTON UNDERSTANDS THIS,
and you have been learned dumb from evil
announcers with insight, credentials, and experience.

4 quarter reality of single game is VALIDATED,
disproving REASON GOD.
4 quarter logic PROVEN OBVIOUS by WALTONCUBE.
All existence obeys Waltoncube PARADIGM.
All logic surrenders to Bill Walton and quartered paradigm.
Not even timecube theory can compare, and is stupid and evil.
Stop your retarded dumbness, and embrace Waltoncube.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Solmyr

Quote from: Neil on November 20, 2011, 09:10:06 AM
Poltava?

Swedes don't like to be reminded of that.

Slargos

Poltava?

Poltava would've been more than winable if the Swedish army hadn't run out of supplies. My point still stands.

Neil

Quote from: Slargos on November 20, 2011, 03:00:11 PM
Poltava?
Poltava would've been more than winable if the Swedish army hadn't run out of supplies. My point still stands.
If it can't win, it's inferior.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

And who's fault is that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on November 20, 2011, 04:09:08 PM

And who's fault is that?

I am relatively sure it's not mine.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on November 18, 2011, 06:53:03 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2011, 06:33:02 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 18, 2011, 06:28:25 PM
I'd suggest you look up the reasons for why the bayonette replaced the pike (basically it was just as good against the 18 foot tall monstrosities of plate protected knights on destriers with 16 foot long lances) and why only madmen like Stonewall Jackson and Winston Churchill ever suggested returning to pike use.

My understanding is that by the time the bayonet was introduced the lance had disappeared from Western European battlefields, replaced by the saber.  Obviously there were holdouts further east.

Lancers were somewhat commonplace in Western European armies well into the Napoleonic Era and beyond.  The Victorian period saw the British use lancers quite a few times.

As this is my first foray into this walking partial birth abortion of a thread, I was going to address the British use of lancers in the Victorian era.

As far at the thread topic goes, Kitchener et al already proved what worked on fantasy hordes.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2011, 04:27:49 PM
I'd suggest you look up the reasons for why the bayonette replaced the pike (basically it was just as good against the 18 foot tall monstrosities of plate protected knights on destriers with 16 foot long lances) and why only madmen like Stonewall Jackson and Winston Churchill ever suggested returning to pike use.

My understanding is that by the time the bayonet was introduced the lance had disappeared from Western European battlefields, replaced by the saber.  Obviously there were holdouts further east.

Lancers were somewhat commonplace in Western European armies well into the Napoleonic Era and beyond.  The Victorian period saw the British use lancers quite a few times.

As this is my first foray into this walking partial birth abortion of a thread, I was going to address the British use of lancers in the Victorian era.

As far at the thread topic goes, Kitchener et al already proved what worked on fantasy hordes.

The Maxim Gun?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: Viking on November 20, 2011, 04:30:38 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2011, 04:27:49 PM

The Maxim Gun?

Killed a lot of darkskinned monsters. :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: Slargos on November 20, 2011, 04:20:05 PM

I am relatively sure it's not mine.

Well you get to enjoy the fruits of the Swedish King's labor.  As he dwelt with the Muslims, so shall the Muslims dwell with you.