Pike & Shot or Line Infantry Better Against Traditional Fantasy Horde?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 18, 2011, 06:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

The morale of fantasy hordes isn't consistently depicted, except in the case of the undead.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2011, 11:19:17 AM
The morale of fantasy hordes isn't consistently depicted, except in the case of the undead.

Morale is a function of organization.  Usually the hordes are depicted as fairly poorly organized.  I had to look at up what a Trolloc is, but they seem to be large somewhat hairy monsters that are disorganized and cowardly.  I think musket men would make short work of them.

In medieval warfare there was a a lot of charge and retreat going on due to poor discipline.  This why you read about knights making several charges during  battle.  They would charge then balk and then ride back to their starting lines.  I imagine Tim's monsters would be the same.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2011, 02:35:01 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2011, 11:19:17 AM

Morale is a function of organization.  Usually the hordes are depicted as fairly poorly organized.  I had to look at up what a Trolloc is, but they seem to be large somewhat hairy monsters that are disorganized and cowardly.  I think musket men would make short work of them.

In medieval warfare there was a a lot of charge and retreat going on due to poor discipline.  This why you read about knights making several charges during  battle.  They would charge then balk and then ride back to their starting lines.  I imagine Tim's monsters would be the same.

While individual monsters vary depending on the setting from insanely bloodthirsty to deceitful and cowardly, the Big Bad usually has minions who control the mooks and make them do what they're told, whether  by reigning in their bloodlust in the first case or simply scaring them more than the enemy in the second. And of course in some settings the horde is controlled directly by the Dark Lord's will.

Case in point, the Trollocs are controlled by the Myrddraal and have lunched charges to the death that make the Somme offensive look plausible in comparison.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

The Soviets tried that.  Turns out that's an ineffective way to fight.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2011, 03:58:17 PM
:lol: I can't disagree with you there.

If only Stalin had been able to get the human-ape hybrids he wanted!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Pike/musket combination ala the 1700 Carolean army. It's the only way to be sure.

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 19, 2011, 03:49:02 PM
Trollocs are controlled by the Myrddraal and have lunched charges to the death that make the Somme offensive look plausible in comparison.

You really do have trouble telling fantasy from reality, don't you?

Neil

Quote from: Slargos on November 19, 2011, 04:11:31 PM
Pike/musket combination ala the 1700 Carolean army. It's the only way to be sure.
Wasn't that army humiliated and destroyed by a horde?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2011, 05:32:56 PM
Quote from: Slargos on November 19, 2011, 04:11:31 PM
Wasn't that army humiliated and destroyed by a horde?

Then the King hung out with the Turks for a while, with the understanding that in a few centuries time the Turks could all hang out in Sweden.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on November 19, 2011, 05:11:42 PM
Trollocs are controlled by the Myrddraal and have lunched charges to the death that make the Somme offensive look plausible in comparison.

I missed that. :XD:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2011, 07:35:48 PM
Quote from: dps on November 19, 2011, 05:11:42 PM

I missed that. :XD:
100,000 dead in half an hour > 60,000 Brits dead in a day.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

The Somme always looks plausible. because it actually happened.  Killing 100,000 people in half an hour with medieval weaponry isn't plausible.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2011, 09:33:41 PM
The Somme always looks plausible. because it actually happened.  Killing 100,000 people in half an hour with medieval weaponry isn't plausible.
Magic did the killing  :sleep:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 19, 2011, 04:10:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2011, 03:58:17 PM
:lol: I can't disagree with you there.

If only Stalin had been able to get the human-ape hybrids he wanted!

He did. They are called slavs.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"