New HDD - need advice and instructions

Started by Barrister, November 18, 2011, 12:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Okay, my Windows drive on the King of Macs is just jam packed, and it slowly dawned on me that might be a teeny, tiny part of the reason why Windows boots are so slow.  So I think I'm going to break down and get a new HDD.

I've tried to justify to myself getting a SSD, but money is tight and to really make use of a SSD I'm pretty sure I'd need to upgrade Windows 7, which turns a $100ish expense into over $300.  Just can't do it.

So my questions are - in buying a new internal HDD are there any particular brands to purchase, or avoid?

Second - is there any way to comply copy / clone my old HDD over to the new one, rather than having to re-install Windows on it (or perhaps I should re-install Windows - it's been 3+ years).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Bad time to be buying HDDs, they are crazy expensive these days. If you can wait out the Thailand & Taiwan flooding, do.

There is : hiren.info & use one of the ghosting software.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 18, 2011, 12:02:56 PM
Bad time to be buying HDDs, they are crazy expensive these days. If you can wait out the Thailand & Taiwan flooding, do.

There is : hiren.info & use one of the ghosting software.

Not really.  SWTOR is just killing my storage space.  I'm down to STO, SWTOR and EU3 on my drive, with only 20% free.

Grey Fox

How big do you want to go?

I hate Seagate drive & I'm a WD fan boi. Hitachi always seemed nice but too expensive for my taste.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=62047&vpn=WD20EARX&manufacture=Western%20Digital%20WD This seems alright to me.

Barrister

I'm trying to go cheap.  :(  Use OS X to store all my data anyways - just use Windows to install games.

So stay away from Seagate, look at WD?  I can do that.  I'd probably get a smaller drive than the one you suggest though.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2011, 12:19:08 PM
I'm trying to go cheap.  :(  Use OS X to store all my data anyways - just use Windows to install games.

So stay away from Seagate, look at WD?  I can do that.  I'd probably get a smaller drive than the one you suggest though.

You can get a 2TB for 220$ or a 640GB for 120$.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 18, 2011, 12:25:09 PM

Yeah I know - for double the price you get over triple the storage.

Where did you see 640GB for $120?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2011, 12:33:28 PM

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=65558&vpn=WD6400AARS&manufacture=Western%20Digital%20WD

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 18, 2011, 12:36:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2011, 12:33:28 PM

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=65558&vpn=WD6400AARS&manufacture=Western%20Digital%20WD

Ordered.

And I ordered Win 7 as well - it just makes a lot of sense to finally upgrade if I'm having to do everything else to switch drives...

Grey Fox

You wil love Win 7, in some ways it feels like MacOS

viper37

never had problems with Seagate.  But I hear people using them extensively (as in Universities, or big businesses) have lots of problems with them.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 18, 2011, 03:34:42 PM

I'm just looking forward to the computer finally recognizing all 10GB of RAM...

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2011, 03:44:15 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 18, 2011, 03:34:42 PM

I'm just looking forward to the computer finally recognizing all 10GB of RAM...

and then play a game that has no idea how to use more then 2GB. Altho, I doubt that swtor as that problem.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: viper37 on November 18, 2011, 03:35:33 PM

never had problems with Seagate.  But I hear people using them extensively (as in Universities, or big businesses) have lots of problems with them.

The server has gone through three Seagate drives, including a SCSI-3 model, in the past seven years.  Seagate is also the only manufacturer I've ever received a DOA drive from.  Not touching them again.

Barrister

Wow.  Ordered Friday, arrived Tuesday.

Of course maybe I'm just surprised I'm no longer living at the edge of the known universe.