Main Menu

Towns

Started by Syt, November 17, 2011, 02:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.townsgame.com/

QuoteFAQ

What is Towns?

Towns is a city-building/rpg game in which you lead a small settlement, housed near a dungeon, to glory!

Why is there a dungeon right where they decide to build their settlement, isn't it kind of counter-intuitive of them to do so?

Well, there was this king... oh, shut up, it's fun!

What is the basic game-play like?

You start off with a small group of settlers and you must set up camp, acquiring resources by chopping down wood and building buildings, much like other real time strategy games.

The twist is that you don't have control over what the citizens do, you give basic build orders and they will try to accommodate their time to your needs, or, you know, slack off....

Once you get a basic hang of the game-play, you can start digging deeper into the earth, mining ore and uncovering treasures and dungeons. If you aren't careful you might dig too far down too quickly and open yourself up to some very nasty creatures.

What makes this different than X game?

Well the advanced game-play makes this game unique in quite a few aspects, we have taken cues from our favorite games. Diablo, Dungeon Keeper, Evil Genius, and even Theme Hospital are in the mix, although an honorable mention must be made to the absolutely gigantic elephant in the room, Dwarf Fortress.

How does building work?

Currently the buildings are pre-set, so you click on build, click on carpentry, click where you want it, and pray that one of your little guys gets it done in time before the impending goblin siege has their way with you.

We are implementing a custom building scheme where you will be able to see inside the buildings and make them as big or as little as you want

What about the RPG system? So far all I am seeing is a city building Sim, I feel cheated!

Hold your horses! The game is a RPG in many ways. There are procedurally made dungeon floors, hero units that come to your town and level up by killing monsters, quests, and maybe even a dragon or two.

It's just not in a traditional RPG sense. This game is more of a reverse RPG than a traditional one. To put it in terms of context, picture almost any normal RPG. Normally you would have an adventurer go down into the dungeon, grab loot, come back up, complete quests, and hopefully kill the boss at the end. In Towns you basically run the town that houses the hero. You build buildings that he will like, cater to his needs and hope that you have enough good equipment crafted to be able to offer him as a reward for a quest you give him. Entice hero units to form groups and take down larger bosses together, have hot food and a bard playing for them in the tavern and pray that they are entertained enough to stick around and defend your little village when a stray dire-wolf comes up from the depths... but keep an eye on those adventurers, as some of them might even prefer to steal things rather than buy them.

Couple that with the fact that you can craft weapons using materials dropped by enemies, and maybe even forge epic loot with it's own randomized name (Red iron longsword of pillaging, for example), and you have the basis for a unique adventure Sim.

WHEN OH GOD WHEN CAN I GIVE YOU MY MONIES!

The game is available to pre-purchase right now using the secured Paypal service, pre-purchasing grant you a 50% discount from the final price as well as an early access to the latest releases.

V0.35 has been released which will be the last free version.

Could be interesting?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Hmm... although this one bit seems like it could get frustrating.

Quotepray that one of your little guys gets it done in time before the impending goblin siege has their way with you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Why put your dungeon outside the town?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Sounds like Majesty.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

What makes it different from Dwarf Fortress?

Scipio

What makes it different from Hinterland?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josquius

Quote from: Maximus on November 17, 2011, 06:16:05 PM
What makes it different from Dwarf Fortress?
Its playable hopefully.

But yes, sounds Majesty'y
██████
██████
██████

JonasSalk

I can't get my little people to harvest stone. The stone is there, but they won't gather it or use it.

Nevermind. Gotta keep digging.
Yuman

Maximus

Quote from: Tyr on November 17, 2011, 09:16:43 PM
Its playable hopefully.

I've gotten more hours out of DF than any other game.

Syt

Quote from: Scipio on November 17, 2011, 07:23:06 PM
What makes it different from Hinterland?

No direct control over characters. You seem to have as much control over them as you have over people in Sim City.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Could be like D&D Stronghold.
PDH!

Solmyr

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 18, 2011, 06:58:03 AM
Could be like D&D Stronghold.

I played the shit out of that back then. :)

Darth Wagtaros

Was a damned good game.
PDH!

garbon

Eww, they better change up the graphics in the paid version. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2011, 01:31:25 PM
Eww, they better change up the graphics in the paid version. :D

Seriously.  It looks like stuff I threw together in my Visual Basic class in high school.

EDIT: I'm talking about inclusion of free sprite packages, BTW, not claiming to have more artistic talent.
Experience bij!