And we're back!

Main Menu

The demonization of pedophiles.

Started by Razgovory, November 16, 2011, 10:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2011, 12:18:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2011, 12:04:34 PM
Yes, but it's non-consensual because of an arbitrary line in the sand.  Other cultures, like the ancient Greeks didn't have such a problem with this.  As I pointed out in my example, the law plays with that line.  The same person can be simultaneously an adult as a perpetrator and a minor as a victim.

It is a question I have wondered about.  Today we can point to, convincingly I think, the large amount of social damage sexual abuse of kids causes.  But were the ancient greeks somehow insulated from  it?  Is it our cultural taboo that creates the damage in someway?  Or, conversley, did it cause large amounts of social damage in ancient Greece?

I think on these lines with regards to child physical abuse, once so common, as well.  Was it this tendency that created the violent societies in the past or was the very fact those societies were so violent somehow made the physical abuse less damaging?

Not sure.

Obviously when expectations change social costs of various activities change.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2011, 12:21:04 PM
I mean organizations like the Catholic Church and Penn State would never have covered for murders and somebody who kidnapped and tortured people.

I'm sure the Church has done that many times. Dunno about Penn St.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2011, 12:23:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2011, 12:13:22 PM
Okay, maybe I should step back.  What do board members think of the claims that a pedophile is predisposed toward his sexual peculiarity?  That the pedophile lusts for small children because that's the way his head is wired.  He was born that way.  Is this a legitimate statement?

It is a relevant question only to the extent of whether they should ever be released from prison (or in capital punishment land simply executed).  If they are just born that way and nothing can help them then the answer is pretty straight forward imo.

Why only to that extant?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Okay, maybe I should step back.  What do board members think of the claims that a pedophile is predisposed toward his sexual peculiarity?  That the pedophile lusts for small children because that's the way his head is wired.  He was born that way.  Is this a legitimate statement?
Mostly bullshit is my guess.  History is full of examples of pseudo-science being invented to justify persecution of undesirables.

Razgovory

Yes, but it's non-consensual because of an arbitrary line in the sand.  Other cultures, like the ancient Greeks didn't have such a problem with this.  As I pointed out in my example, the law plays with that line.  The same person can be simultaneously an adult as a perpetrator and a minor as a victim.

It is a question I have wondered about.  Today we can point to, convincingly I think, the large amount of social damage sexual abuse of kids causes.  But were the ancient greeks somehow insulated from  it?  Is it our cultural taboo that creates the damage in someway?  Or, conversley, did it cause large amounts of social damage in ancient Greece?

I think on these lines with regards to child physical abuse, once so common, as well.  Was it this tendency that created the violent societies in the past or was the very fact those societies were so violent somehow made the physical abuse less damaging?

Not sure.

Or is it not as damaging as we are led to believe?  How many children are abused sexually?  How many go on to become abusers?  I'm beginning to suspect the "ick" factor is a major part of it.  I'm wondering if that as homosexuality becomes more acceptable, people who are disgusted by that sort of behavior are shifting their hate to pedophiles who in their mind are similar and a safer target of hatred.  It seems the mass awareness and moral panic concerning pedophilia coincides with the mainstream acceptance of homosexuality.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2011, 12:36:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2011, 12:23:48 PM

It is a relevant question only to the extent of whether they should ever be released from prison (or in capital punishment land simply executed).  If they are just born that way and nothing can help them then the answer is pretty straight forward imo.

Why only to that extant?

What else is that question relevant to?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 16, 2011, 12:44:01 PM
Mostly bullshit is my guess.  History is full of examples of pseudo-science being invented to justify persecution of undesirables.

Please clarify.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2011, 12:44:56 PM

Not sure.

Or is it not as damaging as we are led to believe?  How many children are abused sexually?  How many go on to become abusers?  I'm beginning to suspect the "ick" factor is a major part of it.  I'm wondering if that as homosexuality becomes more acceptable, people who are disgusted by that sort of behavior are shifting their hate to pedophiles who in their mind are similar and a safer target of hatred.  It seems the mass awareness and moral panic concerning pedophilia coincides with the mainstream acceptance of homosexuality.

It coincides with a lot of things.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Yes, I occasionally check for perverts within a mile. Especially for Tier III's.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2011, 12:45:10 PM

Well if the statement is true or not.  Or why it occurs.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2011, 12:21:04 PM
Besides I am pretty sure serial killers and sadists are more vilified than sexual predators.  I mean organizations like the Catholic Church and Penn State would never have covered for murders and somebody who kidnapped and tortured people.
:lol:

So you assume Penn state put a hit out on that D.A. that went missing?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Not sure.

The issue of whether a person will be tried in the juvenile or adult legal systems isn't a matter of informed consent, like the issue of sexual age of consent is.  They are apples and oranges.  A ten-year-old tried as an adult doesn't become an adult (doesn't get to vote, for instance, or drive or buy cigarettes and booze); they are tried in the adult legal system because the juvenile legal system lacks the ability to inflict a suitable sentence if found guilty.  I'm not a big fan of the whole "try as an adult" concept to begin with, but I understand how it differs from treatment as an adult as regards consent to sex.

Pedophiles are reviled more than most criminals, IMO, because they strike at the most vulnerable.  I think they were reviled before it was recognized that they had such high recidivism rates.  They don't get a pass because they are 'wired that way" any more than any other serial rapist or drunk driver gets a pass because they are "wired that way."  If you are "wired wrong," you are expected to compensate for it; if you cannot, then society will put you someplace where your lack of self-control doesn't harm others.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2011, 12:48:46 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2011, 12:45:10 PM

Well if the statement is true or not.  Or why it occurs.

Whether it is true or not is only relevant to the question of whether they can be rehabilitated.  If true then no and if not true then maybe yes.  I dont know why else the question might be relevant.

Eddie Teach

I think this is like most statements regarding nature vs. nurture, a question that can be answered with 50% certainty.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Not sure.
People who were violently abused as a child are more likely to use violence as adults so I'm going with the bolded bit.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point