Dan Savage Gets Glitterbombed, Called Transphobic

Started by garbon, November 15, 2011, 06:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: dps on November 16, 2011, 01:23:43 AMSo, "transvestite" is considered non-PC?

As I understand it, the more specific transman and transwoman are preferred if there are reasons you can't just use man or woman . If you need to use a more general term, transgendered is the word of choice.

dps

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2011, 01:44:38 AM
Quote from: dps on November 16, 2011, 01:23:43 AMSo, "transvestite" is considered non-PC?

As I understand it, the more specific transman and transwoman are preferred if there are reasons you can't just use man or woman . If you need to use a more general term, transgendered is the word of choice.

Uh, a transvestite is a cross-dresser.  That's why I only quoted the part of your post about cross-dressers--it was the part I was asking about. 

Martinus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 15, 2011, 11:38:56 PMIn Philly, for instance, to get the monthly TransPass you had to put M or F on the card

They make transgendered people wear a special pass? Wtf, that's nazi.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on November 16, 2011, 01:23:43 AM
Quote from: Jacob on November 15, 2011, 10:17:31 PM
If, on the other hand, you're talking about a cis-gendered person (i.e. someone who identifies with the gender they were raised as), be they gay or straight, but who enjoys dressing up in clothing associated with the other gender, you'd refer to them as a cross-dresser.

So, "transvestite" is considered non-PC?

I don't think it's non-PC, however it's a loaded word for two reasons, I'd wager. One, it is often mistakenly used to describe transgendered people. And another, it's clinical/medical - it's like referring to a gay person as "a homosexual".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2011, 02:32:36 AM
And another, it's clinical/medical - it's like referring to a gay person as "a homosexual".

Referring to a homosexual person as gay is euphemistic, or at least was originally.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2011, 02:30:23 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 15, 2011, 11:38:56 PMIn Philly, for instance, to get the monthly TransPass you had to put M or F on the card

They make transgendered people wear a special pass? Wtf, that's nazi.

:unsure:  Not sure if joking... so to be straight-faced: for a monthly pass, everyone had to have a little sticker on the card saying M or F, with the goal of preventing heterosexual spouses from sharing the same pass.

Problems arose when transgendered people who "looked like" the opposite gender asked for the other sticker or demanded not to have a sticker at all.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

I don't think it's non-PC, however it's a loaded word for two reasons, I'd wager. One...  ...And another, it's clinical/medical

So, "myocardial infarction" and "subdural hematoma" would also be considered loaded?  :)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: dps on November 16, 2011, 08:53:09 AM

I don't think it's non-PC, however it's a loaded word for two reasons, I'd wager. One...  ...And another, it's clinical/medical

So, "myocardial infarction" and "subdural hematoma" would also be considered loaded?  :)

"Sorry to hear about your mother's massive pancreatic hemorrhage and resulting death, bud."  :console:

"Sorry to hear about your mother's passing, bud."  :console:

Ideologue

I think the first one is fine.  Maybe not "massive."  I think that's implied from the fact she's dead.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

It's not really loaded, since loaded words are as such because of the shame of not being normal.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2011, 11:07:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2011, 11:05:46 PM
Is that how you know?

No.  The way you know is you look for a chick with a manly face then grab their crotch.

Checking whether they have an Adam's apple is the more usual way, but whatever floats your boat Admiral.

We tried to recruit a lawyer years ago. She wanted to go for meet teh team drinks. Next day, the bloke I share an office with comes in and tells me they were the last ones left she grabbed hold of him and stuck her tongue down his throat. She ended up going to another law firm.

About 6 months later, my mate went out with a partner for a boozy lunch to celebrate a completed deal. He came back absolutely arseholed, shut the door of our office and said "Gups, you know that bird from firm X I snogged...she's only a fucking bloke". After I'd stopped laughing I told him to go home without telling anyone. He was so wasted though he went and told the secretaries i.e. the whole firm.

I see her quite often on the other side of deals.

Ideologue

Quote from: GuptaChecking whether they have an Adam's apple is the more usual way, but whatever floats your boat Admiral.

But that wouldn't apply very strongly to those who have undergone a chondrolaryngoplasty, i.e. "tracheal shave."

And some bitches have just got big ugly lumps of cartilage in their throats.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)