Dan Savage Gets Glitterbombed, Called Transphobic

Started by garbon, November 15, 2011, 06:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 15, 2011, 10:47:44 PM
How many people here are actually acquainted with transgendered/transsexual people?

How would I know?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

How many people here are actually acquainted with transgendered/transsexual people?

There's one guy at work who wears one of those big extender ear ring things, but I don't know him very well.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2011, 11:04:47 PM

There's one guy at work who wears one of those big extender ear ring things, but I don't know him very well.

Is that how you know?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2011, 11:05:46 PM
Is that how you know?

No.  The way you know is you look for a chick with a manly face then grab their crotch.

merithyn

A dear friend of mine is transgender. He feels equal parts female and male. He goes by the male pronouns because that's his physical make-up, but he doesn't feel that it encompasses all of him.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 15, 2011, 10:52:24 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 15, 2011, 10:50:17 PM

In what manner.

In a  -- "how you doin?"  -- "how YOU doin?" kind of way.

I suppose not.  I've read up on the subject to some degree though.  It's interesting.  One thing I've learned is it's a really shitty process.  Also, occasionally some make decent-looking members of their desired gender, but this is both difficult to achieve and not bound to occur regardless of effort or expense.  So then I cancelled my trip to Thailand.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2011, 10:58:34 PM

How would I know?

If you were actually acquainted with them you might...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Capetan Mihali

I've lost touch with most of my trans friends from Philadelphia, but they were generally just like other people I knew, if especially involved in radical left politics.  The treatment of trans sex workers (I'm "PC" as a matter of conviction not politeness) by the police and others in the city was a big deal in the last several years there.  I believe that Baltimore affray in Mickey D's was predicated on the issue of whether a transgender woman could use the women's bathroom.

Ultimately, the main point is that it is "real" for a fair amount of people, despite haranguing to the contrary, and they are left in a uniquely vulnerable position.  In Philly, for instance, to get the monthly TransPass you had to put M or F on the card, which led to a bunch of disputes between the SEPTA workers and trans individuals trying to assert their gender identity.  Apart from the general ridicule, assaults, etc.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 15, 2011, 11:13:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2011, 10:58:34 PM

How would I know?

If you were actually acquainted with them you might...

I'm not very well acquainted with anyone.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2011, 11:48:34 PM

Or yourself...  but I'm in the same boat ultimately.   :homestar:

Neil

'Gender identity'.  You people are really a kick, you know?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Neil on November 15, 2011, 11:57:33 PM
'Gender identity'.  You people are really a kick, you know?

The kick of real life is always hard to bear.  :console:

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 15, 2011, 11:51:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2011, 11:48:34 PM

Or yourself...  but I'm in the same boat ultimately.   :homestar:

Well, that is one of the high points of being mad.  You're never really sure what you're thinking.  Sometimes you can surprise yourself.

dps

Quote from: Jacob on November 15, 2011, 10:17:31 PM
If, on the other hand, you're talking about a cis-gendered person (i.e. someone who identifies with the gender they were raised as), be they gay or straight, but who enjoys dressing up in clothing associated with the other gender, you'd refer to them as a cross-dresser.

So, "transvestite" is considered non-PC?