News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

USA #1 -- in Oil and Gas Production

Started by The Minsky Moment, November 15, 2011, 02:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

So much for peak oil

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2011/11/15/u-s-oil-and-gas-yield-will-beat-peak-by-2020-research-projects/

QuoteThe United States is on track to beat its previous peak production of oil, natural gas and natural gas liquids, according to an analysis by consulting firm PFC Energy.

The analysis projects that the United States will become the world's top producer of those fossil fuels by 2020. Though Saudi Arabia will continue surpass it in oil production, the United States' booming shale gas business will make it the global leader in well-borne fossil fuels, according to PFC Energy . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

We'll still consume all of it and need much more.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2011, 02:15:26 PM
So much for peak oil

I tought "peak oil" only referred to oil proper, not including gas.  :hmm:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on November 15, 2011, 02:39:55 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2011, 02:15:26 PM
So much for peak oil

I tought "peak oil" only referred to oil proper, not including gas.  :hmm:

It includes whatever is necessary to make your point.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

This is all about shale oil and fracking. As well as a long term investment by all gas and oil companies (they used to call themselves oil and gas and will in the future call themselves energy) in marginal and mature fields. In Norway they just had a major oil find (the 2nd large oil find in over 30 years in the north sea) in an area previouslly considered mature.

This is all about a fall is saudi and russian production. Political and Governance issues of the past 10 - 15 years (9/11 and Putin) have meant that investment has shifted from risky investments in unexplored locations to safer investments in mature fields.

Nobody is looking for people to work in russia, they are looking for people in US, Canada and UK. The companies in the middle east are also moving away from using as much western expertise for political and patronage reasons and their production is falling comensurate with that.

Shale gas basically means that there is an effectively (within my lifetime at least) an unlimited opportunity for the production of methane everywhere there are shallow marine habitats before the triassic (65million years or older), which is precisely what North America and Europe were at that time. You can basically drill anywhere in the continental US or Europe with sedimentary rock (no igneous (like granite) or metamorphic (like volcanic basalt) rock) and find shale gas.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on November 15, 2011, 03:20:11 PM
Shale gas basically means that there is an effectively (within my lifetime at least) an unlimited opportunity for the production of methane everywhere there are shallow marine habitats before the Triassic (65million years or older), which is precisely what North America and Europe were at that time. You can basically drill anywhere in the continental US or Europe with sedimentary rock (no igneous (like granite) or metamorphic (like volcanic basalt) rock) and find shale gas.
Do you mean the Cretaceous?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 15, 2011, 03:44:23 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 15, 2011, 03:20:11 PM
Shale gas basically means that there is an effectively (within my lifetime at least) an unlimited opportunity for the production of methane everywhere there are shallow marine habitats before the Triassic (65million years or older), which is precisely what North America and Europe were at that time. You can basically drill anywhere in the continental US or Europe with sedimentary rock (no igneous (like granite) or metamorphic (like volcanic basalt) rock) and find shale gas.
Do you mean the Cretaceous?

You are right. I mixed up Triassic with Tertiary in my post. I most humbly apologize. I did get the dates right though.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on November 15, 2011, 04:06:46 PM
You are right. I mixed up Triassic with Tertiary in my post. I most humbly apologize. I did get the dates right though.

I'm going to email a link to the writers of Terra Nova. :ph34r:

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2011, 04:08:05 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 15, 2011, 04:06:46 PM

I'm going to email a link to the writers of Terra Nova. :ph34r:

Hey I mixed up two periods named "the period divided into three parts" and "the third period" and admitted my mistake when that was pointed out. I did not spend 20 million dollars putting a Gondwanan late Cretaceous Dinosaur in the same place and time as a Laurasian early Jurassic Dinosaur. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on November 15, 2011, 05:55:54 PM
Hey I mixed up two periods named "the period divided into three parts" and "the third period" and admitted my mistake when that was pointed out. I did not spend 20 million dollars putting a Gondwanan late Cretaceous Dinosaur in the same place and time as a Laurasian early Jurassic Dinosaur.

Too late.  They're already howling at the irony.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Only on languish does an article about US energy independence degenerate into a nerd fight about dinosaur timelines.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: Viking on November 16, 2011, 06:13:43 AM
Only on languish does an article about US energy independence degenerate into a nerd fight about dinosaur timelines.

:lol: