Why all HDMI cables are the same

Started by viper37, November 15, 2011, 11:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

I wonder whether there are any anti-trust issues in play when it comes to HDMI cables.  If you come to any store selling electronics, you're going to see a choice between expensive HDMI and super-expensive HDMI cables, but you'll never see ones priced in single digits.  Surely some forces other than market are making sure it stays that way.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on November 15, 2011, 12:59:57 PM
I wonder whether there are any anti-trust issues in play when it comes to HDMI cables.  If you come to any store selling electronics, you're going to see a choice between expensive HDMI and super-expensive HDMI cables, but you'll never see ones priced in single digits.  Surely some forces other than market are making sure it stays that way.

I think it's 100% consumer ignorance/laziness.  Oh, there could possibly some sort of collusion between the big box retailers, but that would come crashing down if people would wise the f*ck up and buy their HDMI cables online.

Why it's taking so long for word to get out, I haven't a clue. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on November 15, 2011, 05:02:12 PM

I think it's 100% consumer ignorance/laziness.  Oh, there could possibly some sort of collusion between the big box retailers, but that would come crashing down if people would wise the f*ck up and buy their HDMI cables online.

Of course there is customer ignorance at play, that's what makes the scheme work.  You hang an $80 HDMI cable next to a $40 HDMI cable, and people who want to save money will go for a $40 one, not realizing that you can order one from Amazon for $3. 

Still, this scheme will break down the moment one store tries to undercut the others and sell the cables for $5, so I wonder how it comes about that no one tries that.  Surely this kind of racket has to be kept together by some sketchy means.

viper37

I figure that people paying 30 000$ for their home theater setup will not accept the truth that a 3$ cable is just good enough.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on November 15, 2011, 05:08:17 PM

Of course there is customer ignorance at play, that's what makes the scheme work.  You hang an $80 HDMI cable next to a $40 HDMI cable, and people who want to save money will go for a $40 one, not realizing that you can order one from Amazon for $3. 

Still, this scheme will break down the moment one store tries to undercut the others and sell the cables for $5, so I wonder how it comes about that no one tries that.  Surely this kind of racket has to be kept together by some sketchy means.

Except such stores already exist.  I can go to the local Radio Shack and get an HDMI cable for $10 or so, while they want $50 at Best Buy.  Doesn't seem to affect Best Buy too much though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Hmm, last time I went to Radio Shack, they had the same old "Hang a Monster cable, hang a slightly cheaper alternative next to it" racket going that I see everywhere else.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on November 16, 2011, 05:20:33 PM
Hmm, last time I went to Radio Shack, they had the same old "Hang a Monster cable, hang a slightly cheaper alternative next to it" racket going that I see everywhere else.

They're technically not Radio Schack up here.  All the Radio Shacks were bought out, they are now called The Source.

Except that's a dumb name, so I still call them Radio Shack.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2011, 05:26:39 PM

They're technically not Radio Schack up here.  All the Radio Shacks were bought out, they are now called The Source.

Did they ask for your address when you bought batteries up there?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2011, 05:26:39 PM

The Source sucks and they're overpriced.  I went in there the other day and they were selling a VGA monitor cable for $50.

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on November 16, 2011, 02:38:45 PM
I figure that people paying 30 000$ for their home theater setup will not accept the truth that a 3$ cable is just good enough.

Even people who spend much less than that have the same hangup.  Drives me crazy, especially when it's someone who ought to know better. 

I've had a couple co-workers whom I finally convinced to return their overpriced HDMI cables to Best Buy (I think one of them bought his at Radio Shack) by giving them spare generic HDMI cables to use instead.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Quote from: PRC on November 16, 2011, 05:32:33 PM

The Source sucks and they're overpriced.  I went in there the other day and they were selling a VGA monitor cable for $50.

They're better than FutureShop though and I've had pretty good experience for the most part with salespeople who will tell me, "nah, you don't want that" and find me a cheaper one. In fact that happened with HDMI cables not long ago.

And yes, they do make you give them your name and email address every time you buy somethening. But that's OK, I have a special gmail account I use for such spammers.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

derspiess

Quote from: Josephus on November 16, 2011, 06:04:20 PM
And yes, they do make you give them your name and email address every time you buy somethening. But that's OK, I have a special gmail account I use for such spammers.

The most annoying thing for me for stores that do that is that it slows down the transaction.  I like what Microcenter does-- their sales terminal reads my name from my credit card and they have my email address stored-- they just ask me if it has changed.  I actually like getting their spam, since they can't seem to reliably send me a sales flyer thru regular mail.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2011, 11:03:18 AMThe most annoying thing for me for stores that do that is that it slows down the transaction.  I like what Microcenter does-- their sales terminal reads my name from my credit card and they have my email address stored-- they just ask me if it has changed.  I actually like getting their spam, since they can't seem to reliably send me a sales flyer thru regular mail.

I was actually just thinking that. :D

I :wub: Micro Center, though- if the nearest one wasn't an hour's drive away, I'd definitely just try to hibernate there.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 18, 2011, 10:04:33 PM
I :wub: Micro Center, though- if the nearest one wasn't an hour's drive away, I'd definitely just try to hibernate there.

The sheer amount of nerdery there is something to behold.  What cracks me up is that at my location at least you always see people there wanting to build their own system despite having done zero research on the subject.