News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP BEA

Started by Korea, April 27, 2009, 08:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korea

QuoteAnd then there were two.

Golden Girls star Bea Arthur died this morning in Los Angeles. She was 86. This is actually a bit of a shock. Not that 86 is young, but she always seemed healthy and spry, even in the last few years, doing her stage show and guest starring on various TV shows and endless specials.

The other day I listed my favorite TV shows of all-time, and I really should have included The Golden Girls on that list. This was a consistently funny, clever, entertaining sitcom. A classic, really, spawning a lot of great one-liners and situations. It was also a breeding ground for some writers and producers who would become famous for other projects later, including Marc Cherry and Mitchell Hurwitz (as well as many veteran writers and directors). It's still a very special show to me. I used to find myself up at 1AM watching several episodes on Lifetime.

Besides The Golden Girls, Arthur starred in Maude (a spinoff after appearing as the character on All in the Family), Dave's World, Studio One, Kraft Television Theatre, Caeser's Hour, and Great Performances. She also had a memorable guest role on Malcolm in the Middle as Dewey's babysitter.

Boy, Hunter sure will be sad.  :cry:
I want my mother fucking points!

grumbler

She was generally so good as a character actor that you just didn't even think of her as Bea Arthur.  As a star, she was less impressive.

RIP
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Thank you for being a friend. :cry:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

I enjoyed her work, although I found the actress herself to be politically intolerable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

I am sorry for the family's loss.

But I am relieved to find out that the Bureau of Economic Analysis is still alive and well.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on April 27, 2009, 09:10:27 AM
I enjoyed her work, although I found the actress herself to be politically intolerable.

Agree, but I still really appreciated her work.  I believe I had previously stated on Languish that Dorothy was my favorite Golden Girl (with Sophia a close second).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Damn. That's two down, and Rue McClanahan doesn't look well, either. :(
Experience bij!

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Ancient Demon

The funny thing is Bea Arthur was actually older than Estelle Getty who played her mother on Golden Girls (I only discovered that recently), yet their roles were convincing nonetheless.

RIP
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

vinraith

A good comedian, a good actress, and a good woman. RIP Bea, you were a hell of a Femputer.

C.C.R.

And then there's Maude...

:(

Korea

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 27, 2009, 09:14:10 AM
I am sorry for the family's loss.

But I am relieved to find out that the Bureau of Economic Analysis is still alive and well.

:D
I want my mother fucking points!