News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Time lapse video from the ISS

Started by Jacob, November 15, 2011, 12:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

This is pretty cool: http://vimeo.com/32001208

I spotted Italy, the US Eastern seaboard, the Great Wall of China and the Red Sea/ Suez/ Sinai. The rest was a bit of a blur.

Ideologue

This is actually really cool.  Jesus, Earth looks like Coruscant, except with worse weather.

Are cities really that bright from space, or does that have anything to do with the exposure of the frames?  I.e., if you shot me into space, would populated areas look as glittery to my naked eye as depicted here?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on November 15, 2011, 04:00:26 AM
This is actually really cool.  Jesus, Earth looks like Coruscant, except with worse weather.

Are cities really that bright from space, or does that have anything to do with the exposure of the frames?  I.e., if you shot me into space, would populated areas look as glittery to my naked eye as depicted here?

Your eyes would probably explode in the vacuum, so no. :P

Razgovory

I think they are pretty bright.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

After seeing the thread title, I was wondering what Pakistani intelligence service would be videotaping.  Then I realized my mistake.   :Embarrass:

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2011, 08:34:02 AM

Doesn't really happen.  The body surfaces are more than tough enough to withstand a 1 atmosphere difference in pressure.  Like, when you go to the bottom of a swimming pool, your eyes don't implode, right?  But I take the point. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on November 15, 2011, 09:15:38 AM

Doesn't really happen.  The body surfaces are more than tough enough to withstand a 1 atmosphere difference in pressure.  Like, when you go to the bottom of a swimming pool, your eyes don't implode, right?  But I take the point. :P

They would freeze, though. 

Lucidor

Best place to see aurora borealis: space!

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on November 15, 2011, 12:18:54 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 15, 2011, 09:15:38 AM

They would freeze, though.

Eventually.  As I understand it, the water on the surface would actually boil due to lack of pressure.  Vacuum being a poor conductor of heat, the freezing process would take significantly longer than it would take to run out of oxygen (btw, lungs are apparently the one aspect of the body where pressure differences could do significant harm, due to the pressure inside abruptly changing as air's sucked out can severely damage them, but I don't think it's particularly photogenic damage).

Depending on location, you may also get blasted by radiation and die from that.  Still, I suppose the usual case would be asphyxiation.

The point is, you'll be long dead by the time your eyes freeze or your body swells.
Kinemalogue

The Brain

Some SF RPG told me that you can survive say a minute in vacuum, if you empty your lungs immediately.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on November 15, 2011, 02:17:58 PM
Some SF RPG told me that you can survive say a minute in vacuum, if you empty your lungs immediately.

45-90 seconds is the figure I usually see bandied around.  You lose consciousness quickly though.
Kinemalogue

Jacob

I believe they used a low light camera, so it only looks like that if you have low light vision.

jimmy olsen

Cities are pretty bright.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Wow, it's so cool to see India's northern border so well defined just by the lights.

Ideologue

Tim, you realize that photographs do not always faithfully replicate the appearance of an object to the naked eye, right?

That's a 10 second exposure, aperture of F 2.8, at 1600 ISO.  The local time is midnight.  The light source is a full moon.  It does not look like that really.

Quote from: JacobI believe they used a low light camera, so it only looks like that if you have low light vision.

Whereas this is helpful.  Merci.
Kinemalogue