Main Menu

Would you survive a nuke?

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2011, 06:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on November 15, 2011, 01:06:24 PM
Quote from: dps on November 15, 2011, 01:03:47 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 15, 2011, 12:59:48 PM

What's that one halfway between Columbus and the PA border? There's nothing there but tiny places like Coshocton.

Cambridge.  Not important as a city, but it's the intersection of I-70 and I-77.
So they're going to spend a nuke to take out a cloverleaf interchange?

Eh, apparently we're spending 25 of them carpeting the border.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

ulmont

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 15, 2011, 11:11:43 AM
Quote from: DGuller on November 15, 2011, 11:07:40 AM
Newark getting hit by a nuke would improve it.

:yes: Big surprise they're filming portions of The Dark Knight Rises in Newark as Gotham, right? ;)

They filmed parts of the Walking Dead in downtown Atlanta.  Didn't even need set dressing to look post-apocalyptic.

viper37

Using the dinosaur killing bomb, I got this:
QuoteCongratulations! You never saw it coming. Consider yourself lucky that there was no suffering. Not even the cockroaches survived.
Otherwise, I always survive.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on November 15, 2011, 12:39:11 PM

Yeah, the targeting assumptions are just stupid.

I read something back in the mid-70's that the places that were considered likely targets in the U.S. were:

All capital cities
All other cities over 25,000 in population
All important military bases
Certain industrial locations and transportation hubs that aren't in any of the cities already included above.

Of course, that was when nuclear arsenals were a bit larger than they are now--I don't know if cities that small would still be considered likely targets.   But certainly important military bases would be.

I'm not sure the Soviets could reliably hit cities with only 25,000 people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

I'm sure they could.  Hitting a city, even a small city, is rather easy.  And they used larger warheads then to compensate for accuracy anyway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on November 15, 2011, 04:19:26 PM
I'm sure they could.  Hitting a city, even a small city, is rather easy.  And they used larger warheads then to compensate for accuracy anyway.

How easy is it?  As far as I know, nobody has ever hit a city with an ICBM.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2011, 05:16:44 PM

Most cities of 25,000 are bigger than 1km across.  Even the SS-11 could manage that, and that's a very old missile (although it remained in service in decreasing numbers through 1994).  It also carried a 1.1MT warhead.

But you're right.  I think we should hold some trials.  You have any cities in mind? :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on November 15, 2011, 05:59:35 PM
But you're right.  I think we should hold some trials.  You have any cities in mind? :)

Where does Sandusky live again?  :hmm:

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on November 15, 2011, 05:59:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2011, 05:16:44 PM

Most cities of 25,000 are bigger than 1km across.  Even the SS-11 could manage that, and that's a very old missile (although it remained in service in decreasing numbers through 1994).  It also carried a 1.1MT warhead.

I read that Soviet ICBM tended to carry big warheads because their accuracy was somewhat limited.  When shooting something like that off even a small deviation can result a major miss. 

I recommend a Bangkok.

dps

Quote from: DGuller on November 15, 2011, 01:06:24 PM
Quote from: dps on November 15, 2011, 01:03:47 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 15, 2011, 12:59:48 PM

What's that one halfway between Columbus and the PA border? There's nothing there but tiny places like Coshocton.

Cambridge.  Not important as a city, but it's the intersection of I-70 and I-77.
So they're going to spend a nuke to take out a cloverleaf interchange?

See my earlier post #54.  And keep in mind that the Interstate highway system was supposed to be a defense measure (in fact, its official name was the Interstate and Defense Highway System).

Valdemar

Quote from: Syt on November 15, 2011, 12:49:40 PM

Those maps are funny as they represent both a truth and a gigantic miss conception of the militarily important parts of Denmark (Or lack there off if you wish :))

The allied map expects the sovs to hit some of the military targets in Jutland that the Sovs doesn't even consider in their approach, and neither takes out the only true dangers of Denmark, the navy and its ability to block the warsaw block from leaving the baltic :) And the large airfields and their ability to support reinforcements from UK/US, not to mention the large container harbours that would float supplies right into the warzone.

Denmark it self is of no consequence to the war effort. its position and assets for the rest of the allies.. a little bit more.

V

Sophie Scholl

Apparently the closest a nuke would come in their estimation is Syracuse, leaving me alive because "you live in the middle of nowhere or are lucky.  The planet isn't looking good though.  Get ready for some great skiing in the upcoming nuclear winter!"  Apparently everyone has forgotten Griffiss AFB in very close by Rome, NY exists. :ph34r:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valdemar

Quote from: Syt on November 16, 2011, 04:22:35 AM
Quote from: Valdemar on November 16, 2011, 03:24:08 AMThe allied map

Actually, both maps are based on Soviet war plans. :)

OK, I thought the one where NATO attacked first was based on their plans. Strange they don't hit the same targets in both plans when it comes to capitals and strategic bases.

V